Is my lift pump dying?

haymaker02

Reaction score
I just bought a 2002 dodge with a 6 speed. so far i love it! its bone stalk and as far as i know it has never been chipped or anything and it has 117000 miles on it. today after straight piping it i took it out and i noticed that under full throttle it started to cut out at about 2400 rpm or so. its only under full throttle and its not severe, but its enough to make me concerned. i was thinking that it might be my lift pump getting weak and starting to short my injection pump on fuel. what do you guys think? i've been reading the forums on the site for a while now and think this is a great site and i like how you guys are with helping each other. any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

lschultz

Reaction score
Cistern,Tx-2.3 miles outs of ofs highway in Fayett
When was the last time the fuel filter was changed? When my son's lift pump when out on his 99 it was when he was changing his fuel filter. It was running fine till he changed the fuel filter and could not get it primed. Lift pump would run but it was not moving any fuel.

bentwings

Reaction score
I would replace the air cleaner first, or install a high flow one. Then replace the fuel filter. You need to get a fuel pressure gage installed after the filter. If you have less than about 6psi WOT the lift pump is getting to the end of life. Look for 14psi after the filter.

If you haven't alreay found out. It's the first of a line of dead pedal symptoms and ultimate failure of the VP-44 . I would check the codes either by going to Auto Zone or pulling then off with the spedometer trick. If you get no codes I surely would keep a close watch on them and start saving for a VP, unless you still have some warantee. Delete that last part, you're over 100k.

Mopar1973Man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First thing first I don't see a fuel pressure gauge... I would get one quickly. Then check to see if there is more than 10 PSI of pressure at WOT. According to Dodge FSM book.

You must be registered for see images

If below the 10 PSI limit then replace your lift pump and pray you didn't do damage to the VP44... :rolleyes:

BTowler

Short bus driver
Reaction score
If I remember correctly the factory ecm starts to defuel at around 2500-2600 rpm, that is most likely what you are experiencing. If you want fueling above that I would suggest a Smarty, and yes, go ahead and replace your lp now with a Glacier GFS-392, FASS or AirDog and save yourself some hassles down the road. If you don't have gauges, get those right away, a fuel pressure gauge will tell you what is up with your lp. For this I suggest an edge Juice w/Attitude monitor, gauges plus power, and a turbo-timer!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828

Members online