Is it a good engine?

dank1945

Hippo Hands man
Reaction score
Hi,
Looking to buy a 2000 Chevrolet 2500 turbo 6.5, auto with 55 K miles for $13,500, extended cab, short box unfortunately. Are they reliable engines? I've always had Ford, and not familiar at all with Chev. It's a used truck dealer, and quick to point out that's the asking price.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I seem to remember some of the later 6.5TDs had problems with casting defects. I don't remember the specific era though.

The electronic injector pump is also more problematic and expensive to repair. Basically the electronic part on it gets rattled by the engine vibration. There are upgrade kits to correct this by relocating the sensitive electronics box off of the engine where it holds up better.

ameristar1

The One Blue Thing
Reaction score
The 6.2/6.5s are not as bad as folks think, just way misunderstood. Your "go to" people are Heath Diesel and Kennedy Diesel for upgrades. Join The Diesel Page for info on these things. The reason the 6.5s fuel injection was troublesome was the PDM would overheat because of where it was positioned, which made the engine stall. Once the relocator kit is installed and exposed to cooler air, the motor runs fine. The pump itself is reliable.
Heath Diesel built a 6.5 using all stock replacement parts except for a new upgraded crank (a Scat 9000 unit), twins and water/**** injection ( no intercooler per class rules at Bonneville ). Ran the pickup for a 153mph average, exit speed at nearly 160mph. Gave the Duramaxes fits. Gets over 30mpg and is totally streetable. Once Bill raises the shift points, that brick will go over 165mph. 22 psi boost pushing on 21.5 to 1 compression; go figure.
What's funny about all this is that as maligned as this motor has been, I have yet to see the IH 6.9/7.3 do anything close to it in a streetable package, and I am a Ford guy. So far, there are reliable 400hp 6.5 marine engines, and the AMG version with the upgraded block can be had with something like 300-350hp in on land applications.
Oh and tell that dealer to stop doing drugs and alcohol at the same time. For that money you can buy a Duramax with decent miles and better aftermarket support. I'm just sayin'.

Last edited:

m67tang

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a 6.2 many years ago. It ran good, had 300k+ miles on it. It was small block chevy power feeling, like a 305 ci.. We have had a several 6.5 td at work and they are nothing but troubles. Also my 7.3 n/a has more power than the 6.5 td's at work.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 6.2/6.5s are not as bad as folks think, just way misunderstood. Your "go to" people are Heath Diesel and Kennedy Diesel for upgrades. Join The Diesel Page for info on these things. The reason the 6.5s fuel injection was troublesome was the PDM would overheat because of where it was positioned, which made the engine stall. Once the relocator kit is installed and exposed to cooler air, the motor runs fine. The pump itself is reliable.
Heath Diesel built a 6.5 using all stock replacement parts except for a new upgraded crank (a Scat 9000 unit), twins and water/**** injection ( no intercooler per class rules at Bonneville ). Ran the pickup for a 153mph average, exit speed at nearly 160mph. Gave the Duramaxes fits. Gets over 30mpg and is totally streetable. Once Bill raises the shift points, that brick will go over 165mph. 22 psi boost pushing on 21.5 to 1 compression; go figure.
What's funny about all this is that as maligned as this motor has been, I have yet to see the IH 6.9/7.3 do anything close to it in a streetable package, and I am a Ford guy. So far, there are reliable 400hp 6.5 marine engines, and the AMG version with the upgraded block can be had with something like 300-350hp in on land applications.
Oh and tell that dealer to stop doing drugs and alcohol at the same time. For that money you can buy a Duramax with decent miles and better aftermarket support. I'm just sayin'.

What injector pump are they using on those 400Hp marine engines? The DB2 can't pump that much fuel....

ameristar1

The One Blue Thing
Reaction score
What injector pump are they using on those 400Hp marine engines? The DB2 can't pump that much fuel....

Peninsular Diesel builds the big power engines with either Stanadyne DB4 or DS4 pumps, they do have a web site that gives the specs to the engines.

VanBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There's a local business that all they want are 6.2L/6.5L GM diesel pickups. Half tons to 1 tons. If its a GM diesel, they usually buy it up at the auctions (or at a dealer if cheap enough).

Heath Diesel is about 45 min away from me. The same above mentioned business, the owner has a 2500 Suburban that Heath did his magic on..... :eek: Nothing exotic.... but still .....:love: