Is break in oil needed on a rebuilt 7.3

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Was watching a episode of Fast-n-Loud the other day, which made me think about this question for IDI's
They rebuilt a 302 from a mustang and during the break in time they flattened a couple of cam lobes, the lifters were mushroomed also.
(they ran regular oil with a zddp additive and not the special break in oil)
This got me to think about our IDI's if we need to run a break in oil after a rebuild, since I'm close to that point???
Granted I know the IDI uses roller lifters, but thought I'd ask. But was curious about other surfaces.
Did some searching doesn't look like we need to run anything special, but wanted to ask.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
The flat tappet engines are way different.
We don't need it, but you should follow a break in oil change interval.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

FarmerFrank

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can put it in, but its not needed. I like the idea of the zinc coating parts and giving them some life. Just a warm and fuzzy feeling but you'll be fine without.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
IMHO...which isn't all that humble....

NO NOT required....

YES might be nice...but wow, read $$$$$ cause you'll likely want to follow a special kinda break in anyway...my preferred method is as follows

20 miniutes...change oil filter... Break in oil

500 good solid hard working miles....no steady RPM always vary rpm now do it again...GOOD oil or break in oil

1500 good solid hard working miles....no steady RPM always vary rpm now change and GOOD oil...maybe synthetic now...

3000++ regular oil changes...Now engine should be IMHO solid...Expensive..but it's my opinion to give..

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Breaking oil is for a different cam than what we have. Best idea is to run the engine like its working. Nothing breaks in an engine like ours better than working it. The big over the road rigs do not break in those engines. They go directly to work earning their keep. They may not work them really hard but they work them. No baby stuff. If we drive our engines only around town the rings and cylinders will varnish up and the breaking takes 15 to 20 thousand miles. Oil useage will be high too..

PwrSmoke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No special break in oil needed for our engines.

The reason for an early oil change is to catch break in materials but mostly the grunge left by the guy who assembled the engine. How necessary a "flush" type early oil change is depends on how clean the assembler was and the way the rebuild/overhaul was done. If assembly was on the dirty side, a warmup... 20-30 minutes... followed by a drain might be prudent to flush out the junk. Ditto for an inframe overhaul where not everything was accessed for thorough cleaning or the engine was left open outside for a period. Especially true if there was some sort of a failure where metal was pushed thru the engine and it's not going to be fully disassembled and cleaned. In a normal rebuild where everything was properly cleaned, the oil filter can take care of things.

The oil filter is full flow and catches most everything. Certainly all the stuff big enough to cause immediate damage. A simple answer is to buy a really efficient filter for the first run to catch all the break in material. These are the high dollar filters like the Amsoils or the Fram Ultras (they do make one for the 7.3L Powerstoke, which will fit ours), the Napa Platinum, etc. These are all wire backed, synthetic media filters that have better efficiency (catches more and smaller particles) Just make sure that the filter doesn't bypass on the first start due to cold, thick oil. This is why I often use a light oil for break in... 10W30 HDEO in our case, and/or I fill the engine with hot water for the first start (or warm it up with the block heater) and/or even put the oil jugs in a bucket of hot water so the engine starts off with hot oil. Under those circumstances, the oil filter is unlikely to bypass on that first, critical start and ALL the potentially contaminant-laden oil will pass thru the filter. Some may be sneering at this and saying, "how ****." OK, but if you are also an advocate of dumping two or three fills of perfectly good oil "just because", you are just as **** ( : < ). At least the method I outlined doesn't cost any money!

Going back to the high efficiency oil filters... once the engine is broken in, the need for enhanced filtration is less necessary. Having such can extend the life of the oil significantly but once the rate of contamination from normal wear levels off, the level of contamination in the oil rises slowly and until it reaches a certain point (which is what oil change intervals are all about) increased wear due to oil contamination is very minor. Still, I have BOTH a high efficiency oil filter (Fram Ultra PSD filter) AND a 3 micron bypass because they allow me at least an 8000 mile OCI. In fact, I am still running on the oil I installed when the engine was overhauled. I've done three oil analysis since (including particle counts) and the oil is still extremely clean and contaminant. I did the first one at around a thousand miles and the oil was actually a little bit cleaner than the new oil (I have baseline oil cleanliness tests done on the new oil.. an eye opener if you thing new oil is perfectly free of contamination).

As to a break-in change, unless your rig has bypass filtration, the number will vary. For the most part, I think you can go a normal interval. That's if it was a "clean" overhaul. If there is doubt, go 3K and then normal after that. I have see a large number of oil analysis sheets, many on engines in the break-in stage, and the oil really isn't that horrible during this process. The oil itself doesn't wear out during break-in, it's just the contaminant load you want to get rid of. Again, the oil filter takes 95-98% of that stuff out and a high efficiency filter can do even better.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You dont even need it in a gasser.being that you saw this on fast and loud :rotflmao:rolleyes: ,ill tell you the most likely reason they wiped a cam lobe and lifters.

when firing up an engine with a new cam you are supposed to remove the inner valve springs and crank the idle to 2000 rpm as soon as it fires.run at 2000 rpm 20-30 minutes.ive never seen any of these clowns on tv even talk about cam break in,never mind actually doing it.

Dont believe everything you hear or see on a tv show.

Break in oil is a good idea though,not gonna hurt anything.

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
would a break in oil have any positive results on the rocker arms and fulcrums?

PwrSmoke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
would a break in oil have any positive results on the rocker arms and fulcrums?

That's an astute question! The rockers are the place on an IDI where zinc is most needed because it's mostly boundary lubrication, not hydrodynamic there. There is more than enough ZDDP in a good HDEO for that, IMO. I think the key to the rockers is to use a good high-zinc assembly lube or at the very least make sure they are lubed well with motor oil at assembly. After that, oil flow will carry on. This last overhaul I tried Royal Purple's assembly lube and I liked it's "tackiness." It stays where you put it and it has lots of zinc. No doubt there are others just as good.

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info all.
The Fast n loud connection is usually only a entertainment value only for me. But the break in oil struck a note because of my IDI being overhauled. If everything on that show went like a normal shop the show would be boring.
Also I listen to a local auto call in radio show, they talk about oils having the zinc taken out of it, so another item that struck a note.
Talk about the rockers is there a roller rocker replacement "package" for our IDI's.
Did that on a 351M Ford some years back. If I was going to replace the stock rockers, rollers would be nicer...???

1mouse3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i put togetther a few hot-realy hot gasser before and the way i broke'em in is some rotella t oil, hop in them an drive them straght to the high-way like they are stollen. then run down the high-way pushing close to red line for like 50-100 miles. get back change the oil there good to :sly

TahoeTom

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?56221-Looking-for-Input-on-boring-6-9-to-7-3
Here is a build thread using Harland Sharp roller rockers in a 6.9. They are not mass produced, but made to order. The OP hasn't posted in awhile and I doubt if the engine is in service yet. I would love to get a set, but they are pricy and it seems like a custom length push rod was needed. The specifics on the push rods (length) and adjusting the lash on the rockers are unknowns to me. There is a great video of the engine running on a test stand at the machine shop.

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
when i was in my 20's i put some chevys together. this was before i knew about break in addatives. and i dont think they made break in oils yet.the ones with stock cams and springs did fine with assembly lube and regular oil.

i did a pretty hot 350,did the 2000 rpm for 30 minutes thing and it ate the cam before 30 minutes was up! redid it and that cam lasted about 3 weeks! i did some asking around and found out that the wolverine blue racer cams were ground in a way that promoted more lifter spin. that cam lasted till i sold the car a few years later.

idiabuse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Broke mine in on AMSOIL breakin oil went 1000 miles on the stuff dumped it and went to 10W30SAE30 weight AMSOIL
Been getting great mpg with my truck and power even slurping wmo this engines eats any petrol I pour in it

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grizzly Wrecker