IP shutoff issue

dsblack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is a followup to my truck not starting.
I finally pulled the top off of the IP. It looks like it is rusted. I filled it with injector cleaner. Will that loosen things up, and will I be ok. Or am I looking at a new pump?

Thanks
Doug

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can get a new governor cover at your local diesel shop, or if you're lucky...in the junkyard. Again, I would make sure I had the slight spring action when the new cover was pushed back and forth on the pump. Don't force anything. I got into trouble by bending the arm internal to teh cover...gave me my almost fatal runaway condition. The be sure you have an audible "click" key on when you remove and replace teh FSS wire. AS a precautio I would follow waht Zigg said and take that air intake screen loose and have a smooth clipboard or piece of clean plywood to hand just in case it starts to take off when you start it abck up. You do not wnat runaway that is really scary. The rust in teh governor cover tells me you have gotten some water or chemical nasties in your WVO. That stuff is often bad by the time teh restaurants throw it out. That is why mine always gets converted to biodiesel, washed, dried and filtered several times.

dsblack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my concern is that the lever in there seems rusted. And does not have any spring action to it.
what causes this to close when the relay lets off? or am I expecting too much spring action in there? It does move, just not freely.

dsblack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The ones up in the govenor cover. That is all I dare take off. I do not have the $$ to replace it at the moment. So IF I can get it to work...

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you have teh cash for a new gov. cover? They are about $30 new, if you can get one in teh junkyard or from a dead IP you should be fine. No guarantees though. It could be a problem inthe pump or you might be able to get the old one to work as you are trrying to do at the moment. Maybe you should try that first?

dsblack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I do not understand how the cover is the issue? It appears to be the rod down inside the cover, or have I not gone far eneough.
I have only removed the 3 screws to get into it.

Thanks
Doug

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Inside the governor cover IS the solenoid that allows the pump to be cointrolled on/off with the key. As I understand it, if this thing sticks or bugs out or whatever,you can well wind up witha no fuel situation. Perhaps I have misunderstood.

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
ds,
take a wire, wrap it around the FSS metal clip. touch it to the positive on the battery. does it click?

and yes, you can buy a selenoid.

dsblack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The solenoid does work. The lever that it moves down below is not moving freely. It is sounding more and more like pump replacement. I have got it to free up some but not eneough to move when the solenoid releases, but I do not know what makes it move?
Anyone heard anything about diesel care and performance? they have a rebuilt pump for $300.

thanks
Doug

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brb5