Intermittent Starter Grinding

BrianW

Reaction score
You guys have been on a roll, answering my questions, so I've got another one...

Every so often, when starting the truck, the starter just grinds on the flywheel. It's real loud and sounds horrible. Naturally it likes to do this in crowded small streets and parking lots, where the acoustics make sure everyone hears it.

Truth be told, I haven't been able to track it down to any certain circumstances. It happens cold in the morning, and after running for a couple hours (and of course having been shut down.) Sometimes it will go for days without a problem, then just when I think I'm the coolest guy in town... SCREEEECH!

It also takes anywhere from 1 more try to engage, up to 4 more 'screeches' before it works as advertised and cranks right over.

I've been under there, and the mounting bolts are tight. The guy I bought it from mentioned the problem, and said he had already replaced the starter once. It doesn't appear to be the fancy starter I've seen mentioned here, the offset one.

Should I order one of the better versions and try that? If so, does anyone have that part number handy?

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
Typically this boils down to the be the bendix on the starter, that's the part where when the starter spins the gear on it slides out to engage the flywheel but as said you can't over look the flywheel.

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If your lucky it's just the bendix on the starter....If Murphy's law takes over you will have a chewed up ring gear on the flywheel too.

Get it fixed or you will be towing it one of these days.

spencnaz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know this sounds stupid, but check the tightness on the mounting bolts for the starter. You'll need a 1/2" socket for the bolt heads. If those bolts get loose starters make the noises you describe.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
What you have is the usuall starter ring gear wear pattern. These motors start and stop on one of three places on the flywheel. This area wears out and you get the grinding problem. You can replace just the gear but the flywheel will need to come off. I removed mine years ago and "clocked" the gear around and got more time till I needed to replace it. If you have an auto there is a complete flywheel on Ebay for $20.00. Nappa sells the gear for about $40.00 and Ford can sell it but it will cost more.