Intercooler

caterpillar

Reaction score
I was looking on ats today at there intercooler for the 7.3 idi and I was wondering if anyone out there has one of these and if they noticed any improvements from it

reklund

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought one last year. They're spendy, but worth it. At the time I bought mine, they didn't have any of the intake hats available so I modded my old one. I dropped about 200-250° EGT under load with it, so it's been a good setup so far. With your Aurora kit, it should be largely a bolt-on operation- with my older non-wastegated turbo, I had to do some fabbing with my intake and IC piping. I ended up ditching the ATS airbox all together, and making an intake out of a 3" PSD Exhaust Downpipe.

Since these pictures were taken, I've replaced the air filter with an AEM dryflow unit, and upgraded to the front bumper with the vents cut in it to increase airflow across the IC.

Ryan

Attachments

• Intercooler Piping 001.jpg
    Intercooler Piping 001.jpg
    160.3 KB · Views: 26
  • Intercooler Piping 002.jpg
    Intercooler Piping 002.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 19
  • Intercooler Piping 003.jpg
    Intercooler Piping 003.jpg
    146.9 KB · Views: 21
  • Intercooler Piping 004.jpg
    Intercooler Piping 004.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 22
  • Intercooler Piping 005.jpg
    Intercooler Piping 005.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:

caterpillar

Reaction score
Ryan-
Next questoin:
Would I be able to get say a stock powerstorke intercooler and do the piping myself or should i just buy the kit and be dont with it?

reklund

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, a stock PSD intercooler can be made to work. It all depends on your fab skills and willingness to cut/mod your truck. The PSD IC is a little oversized for our application, but should work without too much issue. I know theres a few guys on the OB list here who have dabbled with them.... Type4 perhaps? I can't remember the screen names...

I was under a time crunch, and needed the truck together to drag my rockcrawler out to the trails last summer. I just bit the bullet and ordered a mostly bolt-on kit to save fab time. So far, it's been flawless. The only thing I don't like is my Scion xB intake boot that is going from the intake hat to the IC piping. It's been on my list of gotta-fixes for at least a year now. :D

Search the "lets talk intercoolers" thread. It's a good read and very informative!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert

Members online