Interchangeable years and trans update

Desertfireguy

Reaction score
I've been digging through this site and the internet to find out what years have parts that are swappable to other years. Can someone clear this up?

As an aside, I swapped out my trans fluid (ZF6/Pennzoil synchromesh). Should I notice an immediate improvement, or does it need to be swished around the gears/synchros for a bit to get maximum benefit?

greenskeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It could take a little bit of driving, but you should see a difference with the slightly thicker fluid.

A ZF5/6 behind any 7.3 (IDI or powerstroke) will bolt up to your truck. Obviously the ZF6 will have the creeper gear and trans pump going to the cooler inside the radiator. There are also different gear ratios available with the ZF5 if I recall correctly.

Are you still getting the grinding with the pennzoil synchromesh?

Desertfireguy

Reaction score
It is still grinding a bit. 1st gear for sure, but 2nd did get quieter. I wasn't asking the swappable years only for the trans. I also have a 92 NA. Just looking for the years. I was thinking it was something like 1999.5-2006. Can't remember the years pre-99.5 or how far the range goes towards (and including) the present.

greenskeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is still grinding a bit. 1st gear for sure, but 2nd did get quieter. I wasn't asking the swappable years only for the trans. I also have a 92 NA. Just looking for the years. I was thinking it was something like 1999.5-2006. Can't remember the years pre-99.5 or how far the range goes towards (and including) the present.

I still don't know what you're asking about.

Transmission wise any ZF5 or ZF6 from a 7.3 IDI starting in 1998 all the way through to the 7.3 powerstroke ending at early 2003 will physically bolt up. The 6 has the transmission pump and lines so you'd need the cooler. The 5 doesn't have an internal pump so no lines or cooler.

If 1st gear is grinding are you sure your clutch is fully disengaging? Common issues are a bent shift fork (you can measure the distance with the slave cylinder removed to confirm) or poor hydraulics (which can be replaced as an entire pre-bled unit for under $100)

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I still don't know what you're asking about.

Transmission wise any ZF5 or ZF6 from a 7.3 IDI starting in 1998 all the way through to the 7.3 powerstroke ending at early 2003 will physically bolt up. The 6 has the transmission pump and lines so you'd need the cooler. The 5 doesn't have an internal pump so no lines or cooler.

If 1st gear is grinding are you sure your clutch is fully disengaging? Common issues are a bent shift fork (you can measure the distance with the slave cylinder removed to confirm) or poor hydraulics (which can be replaced as an entire pre-bled unit for under $100)
Hes asking what years of the ZF6 from how I read it.

Desertfireguy

Reaction score
No. Sorry I wasn't clear. Looking for bolt on, swappable parts (not just the trans) within year range. Basically so I could find a donor vehicle for parts. For example:
2011-present
1999.5 to 2010
1988-1999
1977-1987 etc.

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
No. Sorry I wasn't clear. Looking for bolt on, swappable parts (not just the trans) within year range. Basically so I could find a donor vehicle for parts. For example:
2011-present
1999.5 to 2010
1988-1999
1977-1987 etc.

It depends on the part. Many things can be made to work 80-97. If only looking at rear axle/suspension... then it stretches from about '77 well into the superduty trucks (3" wide leafs and ~45" perch spacing).

31-spline tcases persist for decades... probably from the late '60's to mid 00's.

IIRC, there's something about the bellhousing depth on the ZF6... needs a thinner/custom adapter to fit an IDI?