Installing Gauges

tuckerd1

WAR DAMN EAGLE!
Reaction score
Of you guys who have mounted EGT and Trans temp gauges, where did you mount the amplifiers? In the engine comp. or under dash?

The amps don't look watertight.

pafixitman

Reaction score
My Isspro EGT has the box on it. My tranny temp does not, so I only needed to stuff one back there. If I ever get off my **** and build the center console, I'll reroute most of my under dash wiring anyway.

tuckerd1

WAR DAMN EAGLE!
Reaction score
Mounted the two amps together and screwed them to firewall (inside) above the steering column.

Can't hook tranny gauge yet because turbo up-pipe is covering plug/port. I guess I'll have my deep alum pan tapped to screw the thermocouple into.

Also, went to hook up the gauge lights and was going to do the running liht mod at the same time and the headlamp plug has overheated to where it is falling apart. Got to find the plug now.

Older trucks can be so much fun!!!

pafixitman

Reaction score
I used the port on the driver side of the tranny, about mid way back.
The headlight plugs are available in the "help" section of the auto parts store. I just used new plugs when i made my harness.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One of the reasons I prefer the base model ISSPro gauges. No amps.

TLBREWER

Windy B Ranch
Reaction score
Mounted the two amps together and screwed them to firewall (inside) above the steering column.

Can't hook tranny gauge yet because turbo up-pipe is covering plug/port. I guess I'll have my deep alum pan tapped to screw the thermocouple into.

Also, went to hook up the gauge lights and was going to do the running liht mod at the same time and the headlamp plug has overheated to where it is falling apart. Got to find the plug now.

Older trucks can be so much fun!!!

Are you talking about the plug at the headlight switch? Got mine from Ford. I believe it was $48. The unfortunate thing is the plug comes already wired and provides the splices for you to splice it into the truck. Since I haven't done the relay mod yet, I felt adding more splices would just add to the heat buildup. So I just popped the old connectors/wires out of the old plug and into the new plug. That was one expensive piece of plastic! Mine too was overheated to the point it was falling apart.

Tom

tuckerd1

WAR DAMN EAGLE!
Reaction score
Tom,
That's the one. A replacement from LMC arrived yesterday for 12.20 shipped. Part was 4.95. Shipping > part!!:confused: :confused:

It was a pigtail like you got. Was going to check into popping the connectors out of new and pushing old ones in. Gonna look the wires over real good first.

gabbyr100rs

Reaction score
When I replaced mine and put a relay in line for the running lights, I spliced everything--makes for a really, really crowded under dash area when it comes time to buckle it all back together. Used butt connectors and shrink tubing.

Wish I had thought about the possibility of using the usable terminal ends on the wires that were not fried. Several had been hot enough to melt the plastic around them, and others had brittle insulation. Still, some of them might have been usable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin

Members online