installing a york

pedro_8149

7.3L Remote Turbo
Reaction score
so i have a york compressor i am looking to install on my truck. i have a serp setup though and ac, im not taking out my ac or serp set up so question is where do i get a pulley for my york and also where the heck to i mount this sucker is it all custom work as far as mounting it or are there brackets available somewhere.. does anyone have pics of there install? id love to see this. thanks

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
mounting is custom
you can go from serp to v with a puly off a 80-90s chevy tons of them cameros in particular had a v belt for some stuff serp for others so they had converter pullys and i took some off an 86 camero its the same rib as our trucks i got 2 if ya think where you want to mount etc. i can see if one will work for ya and maybe send it ur way

pedro_8149

7.3L Remote Turbo
Reaction score
pretty sure its goin beside the ac pump then id have to come of the ps pump is where me and buddy decided would work best. as far as mounting it thats the least of my worries.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To keep the V-belt Ford A/C, plus the V-belt trailer vacuum pumps, I had to fabricate a "B" V-belt system piggy-backed atop the Cummins 8-rib serpentine system.

I love having both styles on one engine.

I highly recommend against putting a serpentine pulley on the YORK, as should anything happen, you are gonna have to take it out of the loop; this is much easier when it is V-belt driven.

I searched through a pile of discard pulleys at the lawn-mower repair shop until I found one that had a solid flat center that was of similar diameter to the serpentine pulley I intended to mount it beside.

I had my machinist friend to precisely bore bolt-holes to match those on the serpentine pulley.

I have since done a couple myself, just using best judgement and my drill-press and haven't gotten a wobbler yet.

If you have a thick alternator pulley and room around it to add a V-belt pulley of larger diameter, then it is an easy task to drill/tap the perimeter of the thick alternator pulley and bolt a lawn-mower deck-pulley to that.

If you are fortunate, you will find a pulley that has the center offset just a bit outside the V-belt path; otherwise, using a pulley with no offset, you will have to build in the offset. :)

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well carry tools to change the belt and a stock belt youll be fine but like i recemended use v for the york and serp for the motor that way it needs to come off it can
well i got 2 pulys ones got the v on the motor side onter on the rad iirc ill compare it to a vac pump pully b ecause youare not replacing the ac clutch with it

alienturtle

Human
Reaction score
i would love to help you with your install but since i have a 5.9 motor my custom bracket will be of no help to you. I love my york but i will tell you to do the oil mod to it before you install it. It really is super easy to do and will help keep a lot of the oil out of the lines and in the york where it is supposed to stay. Also i depending on how much you use your york i cant tell you enough to CHECK THE OIL on a regular basses. Even with the oil mod it will drain the oil from the york down to too low of levels.

pedro_8149

7.3L Remote Turbo
Reaction score
ok riotwarrior that is perfect thats the exact spot im wanting mine to site. that looks super simple im deffinately ordering that kit right now! and as far as the oil mod what is that

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i would love to help you with your install but since i have a 5.9 motor my custom bracket will be of no help to you. I love my york but i will tell you to do the oil mod to it before you install it. It really is super easy to do and will help keep a lot of the oil out of the lines and in the york where it is supposed to stay. Also i depending on how much you use your york i cant tell you enough to CHECK THE OIL on a regular basses. Even with the oil mod it will drain the oil from the york down to too low of levels.

Can you show some pictures of your YORK install on the 6BT ??

I have at least half-a-dozen YORKs scattered around the shop and have hesitated installing one on mine due to the seeming lack of real-estate in there.

I kept the Ford A/C compressor, V-belt driven, and mounted on the 6BT in much the same location as when on the I-H.

At top-center, in line with the rocker-covers, is my trailer vacuum-pump.

Thanks. :)

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
>>> INTAKE AIR FILTER <<<

When I do get around to installing a YORK, I have been pondering over an idea for filtering the intake air.

I figure to add a fitting to the engine's air-filter housing, such that the YORK is drawing filtered air through the engine's air-filter.

Are there any holes in this plan ??

alienturtle

Human
Reaction score
Can you show some pictures of your YORK install on the 6BT ??

I have at least half-a-dozen YORKs scattered around the shop and have hesitated installing one on mine due to the seeming lack of real-estate in there.

I kept the Ford A/C compressor, V-belt driven, and mounted on the 6BT in much the same location as when on the I-H.

At top-center, in line with the rocker-covers, is my trailer vacuum-pump.

I used my stock A/C pump as well. Do you have a VE pump or P pump on your 6bt? If its a P pump im not sure how this will work for you as all the hard lines stick up but here you go. All made from 3/16 plate. I came up with an adjustable tensioner for the belt as well at the adjustable support for the back of it. Been working great since install ;Sweet

You must be registered for see images attach

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the pictures, alienturtle.

My A/C-compressor just kisses the valve-cover, with the VE-pump just underneath and completely visible.

As best I can tell, your set-up hides the VE, right ???

Maybe I need to re-think my A/C mount and follow your lead.

alienturtle

Human
Reaction score
kind of goes over the about half the VE yeah. You can get to the smoke screw very easy but if you wanted to pull the fuel pin out you would have to remove my bracket. Not really that big of a deal just the 3 bolts on top and 2 down at the bottom.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
kind of goes over the about half the VE yeah. You can get to the smoke screw very easy but if you wanted to pull the fuel pin out you would have to remove my bracket. Not really that big of a deal just the 3 bolts on top and 2 down at the bottom.

My current A/C bracket is bolted into the four - ?I think? - tapped holes located on the top flat surface of the engine, just beside the forward rocker-cover, between it and the VE.

Did you also utilize those holes and maybe also some others, or just what on the engine did you attach to ??