Injector lines barely spitting fuel

Rusty Rig

Reaction score
Hi guys. Let me first start off by saying that I am new to this forum, not only that but I'm new to forums altogether. I am not sure of the etiquette when posting something. I'm sure my question has been asked before but I just don't know forums well enough to find the answer or even phrase the question I have. That being said. I have an 85 F250 6.9idi. I acquired the truck a few months ago and since then have installed: a new mechanical pump, return line, and coupling kit and new fuel filter. One of my tanks was rusted through so both the return line and supply hard nylon lines were sealed and capped off. I have clear fuel coming from the filter housing Schraeder valve with no air or bubbles at all. My problem is that the truck will not start after its been sitting. I have attempted to bleed the injectors several times but when I crack each B-Nut I barely get fuel. Mostly just light spitting of fuel and air. I had fuel leaks before but all of those have been fixed. I've had a 6.9 before and I know I should get way more fuel at the injectors than what I'm getting. The truck may have 140K on it total. Any suggestions? Injector pump rebuild time or what?

Selahdoor

How can I help you, or make you laugh, today?
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would suspect that air in getting in the lines.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s possible it’s just more worn out than the other truck, or that the other truck just had better batteries/cables/starter and cranks quicker, but you should not have air coming out after that much cranking. Work backwards and isolate where the air is coming from, starting from the shop inlet of the ip to the inlet of the lift pump.

Rusty Rig

Reaction score
I know the air is being introduced but not sure where. I firmly believe it's being introduced at the injector pump somehow. I've just never seen such a week flow of fuel out at the injectors. I also know I have clean airless fuel coming in from the filter but what's happening after that is a mystery. I'm pretty cautious about removing the injector pump though because the last time I did it I never could get it timed right. So that is the last resort.

riphip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does it have the water separator on the driver's side next to the master cylinder? If so, have you pulled the ring?

Rusty Rig

Reaction score
Negative I believe thats been deleted. fuel in line comes from the switching valve straight to the new mechanical lift pump.

PROFG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you have a pressure brake bleeder why not try 10psi diesel fuel at LP OUTLET? Should show where leak is and wont harm anything. Regulated 5 psi air into tank fuel outlet with LP suction blocked would check rest of supply side (pressure on LP diaphragm possibly not good idea). Tire pump into Shrader found my filter gasket leak real fast, as in gusher.:eek:

CEDRICWARD

Reaction score
I recently replaced my injectors, glow plugs, got a re-built injector pump and all soft fuel lines between injectors.
I found that some of my hard lines between the IP and the injectors were plugged up when I blew in them. Cleaned them out with PB Blaster and compressed air. Check them for blockage.