Injector leak at shutdown??

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
The direct drive AC Delco style? Those starters are JUNK! Yes the fuel system should hold fuel pressure, but only in the injector pump and injectors. Maybe not a lot of pressure, but I believe that they should hold some. That is the closed/sealed part of our system that isn't connected to the return system. If you don't have pressure there, then your pump has to build enough pressure to open the injectors while the engine is cranking. I hope I'm not too far off, but that's the way I see it.

nostrokes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would agree with everyone else that its probably electrical. If it was hydro locked it wouldn't spin until you pull a glow plug or injector to relive the pressure on the cylinder.

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The direct drive AC Delco style? Those starters are JUNK!
Pretty sure that we don't actually have any "direct drive" starters for our IDIs(discounting 83/84). They should all be gear reduction of one sort or another.
The "direct drive" looking type actually has a gear reduction inline, and provided the motor is in good shape(and all the brushes are OK, etc), they work just as well as the "offset" style.

Now I'm not saying that autozone crap isn't crap... it is. It's just that the style of the starter isn't the issue. I've had good luck with both, once I've cleaned them and made sure they were in good shape.

Another thing to be aware of is that our starters(both styles) have 4 brushes. If 1 brush isn't making a good connection, you are down to about half power. Half power will make the truck sound like it's got dead batteries on a /good/ day.
This is why a worn out starter might still "work", but not have enough power to crank quickly.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
That is true.
What he means is the "inline starter." Not the offset gear reduction one.
It seems be be a common misconception.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Pork_Chop50

He looks kinda hairy and slobbery to me....
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As I understand it, there is the Mitsubishi (inline reduction) and Nippendenso (offset reduction) styles. If this is incorrect, please advice.

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As I understand it, there is the Mitsubishi (inline reduction) and Nippendenso (offset reduction) styles. If this is incorrect, please advice.
This is correct. Early 6.9s(83 and perhaps some 84s) came with an actual direct-drive starter. Those really sucked. (On these, the starter gear had fewer teeth, too.. I think the flywheel has to be upgraded to use a later-model starter?)

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Those earlier starters were made by ACDelco. They didn't seem to last very long from what I've seen, the had a bad habit of chewing up teeth on the flywheel/flexplate ring gear, they were HEAVY, and they are a pain to get to the top starter bolt to remove or install them.

pcpotter1023

Reaction score
I was having issues similar to what you're having and I was certain it was a cable issue I suspected a ground somewhere after replacing and adding ground cables I finally noticed the cable going from the battery to the starter solenoid mounted on the fender was getting hot so I got some larger wire I had laying around (I don't throw stuff away and if I do it's a painful process and it usually comes back and bites me) and soldered in new copper ends I haven't had a problem in several years since doing that and my truck is now very well grounded after all the extra ground cables added and replaced before I noticed that one wire under my nose the entire time

Sidewinded_idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Everything’s been fine for the last few weeks but this morning it did the loud clunk twice and when it fired up this came out, I wiped it up and it’s fuel?? It went away immediately

You must be registered for see images attach

Sidewinded_idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know I need a new ip and I have it waiting to go in but this makes me think I should do my injectors as well

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Probably condensation. Never heard of fuel pouring out of a diesel exhaust system during startup. It just doesn’t happen.
If you think your engine is hydrolocking for some reason, let it sit overnight then remove all glowplugs. Crank engine over in the morning & see if anything comes out of holes.