In bed fuel tank

justinray

Contributor
Reaction score
Would it be a problem if I mounted an in bed fuel tank and ran the 'front tank' lines to it? I haven't had a front tank since I bought the truck, but the switch works, and the lines are still there?

dsltech83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can't imagine why it wouldn't work. You might have to use some rubber fuel hose to extend the lines though, I cant imagine the factory hard lines bending that far.

justinray

Contributor
Reaction score
Oh, I already figred that. Only reason it may not work in my eyes is the amount of uphill distance return fuel would be under.

dsltech83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There should be enough return pressure to push the fuel up that far. I know of at least 1 member that has an in bed fuel tank for pulling a 5th wheel long distances.

Kalashnikov

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No issues, I have a 50 gallon tank in the bed as my main tank currently.

TWeatherford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That should work fine. I have, on long trips, loaded up a 275 gallon tank in the bed filled with vegetable oil. Supply and return run out the top of it, 3.5-4' off the bed floor, no problems.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Would it be a problem if I mounted an in bed fuel tank and ran the 'front tank' lines to it? I haven't had a front tank since I bought the truck, but the switch works, and the lines are still there?

Your fuel pump is not going to like it. . Once teh fuel starts siphoning out of that tank , it will overrun the pump and the pump will cavitate ( ask me how I know this ???
That dura lift was designed to LIFT fuel 10 feet, but it does not like having fuel crammed down its throat like most electric pumps do. Once you get a tank up in the bed , you effectively get that fuel all the way up even higher than the engine. It drove me nuts at first when I put in my 159 gal bed tank, it worked great with a few gallons in it, but when I filled the thing I started having all kinds of problems, I called the company and thhats when I found out my mistake. I ended up re plumbing the system with redundant pumps ( which I kind of like better anyway , I like the pre installed safety backup ) I now have a separate duralift on my bed tank mounted on my headache rack ABOVE the top of teh tank ( and thats real handy because I can just look back and see if the screen is getting dirty going down the road on long trips :) and another for the rear tank on the frame, both before the manual switch valves mounted next to the drivers seat.

You could run a single mounted above the bed tanke and just extend teh plumbing from the FSV to the pump and back. THe pump will lift it., but like I said, that extra pump already mounted , just flip a switch for the pumps when switching tanks, its nice peace of mind, although , I've had the first pump in there for one heck of a long time with no problems, I think about 150k now, still, Luck favours the prepared.

Kalashnikov

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Stock pump is blow the tanks. My carter mounted on the fender has no issues and runs the same as if it were mounted lower. When I was running a thicker mix of WMO it would lack flow at higher RPM just like my 93 with the stock lift pump and tank set-up. The pump still has to pull the fuel up the sending unit and push it up through a filter to the engine.

How do you know your pump was cavitating and the high fuel tank was the issue??

Even if you pulled off the line and let it gravity feed it's only flowing like 5 GPH. I was draining a tank like this before and it was taking forever to fill a 5 gallon container.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Stock pump is blow the tanks. My carter mounted on the fender has no issues and runs the same as if it were mounted lower. When I was running a thicker mix of WMO it would lack flow at higher RPM just like my 93 with the stock lift pump and tank set-up. The pump still has to pull the fuel up the sending unit and push it up through a filter to the engine.

How do you know your pump was cavitating and the high fuel tank was the issue??

Even if you pulled off the line and let it gravity feed it's only flowing like 5 GPH. I was draining a tank like this before and it was taking forever to fill a 5 gallon container.

He doesnt have a stock pump , or a carter electric that is designed to almost require itself to need a siphon effect by being mounted below the fuel tank. . if you read the OPs signature , he has a facet Dura lift, and that thing is designed to be mounted ABOVE the fuel tank, especially when you run into a situation like a large bed tank that gets WAY up there, the dura lift will stop pumping. These things were designed to be mounted way up high in teh engine compartment of a refrigeration unit on a refrigerated transport trailer and draw fuel from way down under neath the thing from the fuel tank down by the dolley gear, and they were designed to run 24 hours a day , 7 days a week. They are fabulous pumps, but you HAVE to mount them in the manner that they were intended,
They can handle a lateral flow like from the stock rear tank mounted in between teh frame rail to the pump mounted high on the frame rail without issue, but to take teh same pump and hook it to a tank mounted way up in the bed , forget it. Ive already been down that path and it took a while working with the factory engineers to figure out what the problem was, considering that I was one of teh first folks to use these things in non commercial applications, they hadnt experienced teh problem before and had to do some digging to figure it out, but they were very diligent and chased down the problem.

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
Years ago I installed a 120 gallon tank in the bed. Plumbed it through a fuel tank switching valve and tapped in the tank at the bottom then headed straight down with it. Yes I had problems with it overpressurizing the fuel system but I cured it toot sweet. Started pulling the fuel to above the tank then back down what I did as a test was I just lenghtened the fuel line outside the tank and had the return dump back into the top of the tank. No issues. I treated the aux tank just like a factory tank. Loved it and no more issues other that it didn't have a level guage so I made a stick and would stab the tank from time.to time. You will be fine with your design just remember to pull the fuel to the top of the tank then back down.

sassyrel

Reaction score
He doesnt have a stock pump , or a carter electric that is designed to almost require itself to need a siphon effect by being mounted below the fuel tank. . if you read the OPs signature , he has a facet Dura lift, and that thing is designed to be mounted ABOVE the fuel tank, especially when you run into a situation like a large bed tank that gets WAY up there, the dura lift will stop pumping. These things were designed to be mounted way up high in teh engine compartment of a refrigeration unit on a refrigerated transport trailer and draw fuel from way down under neath the thing from the fuel tank down by the dolley gear, and they were designed to run 24 hours a day , 7 days a week. They are fabulous pumps, but you HAVE to mount them in the manner that they were intended,
They can handle a lateral flow like from the stock rear tank mounted in between teh frame rail to the pump mounted high on the frame rail without issue, but to take teh same pump and hook it to a tank mounted way up in the bed , forget it. Ive already been down that path and it took a while working with the factory engineers to figure out what the problem was, considering that I was one of teh first folks to use these things in non commercial applications, they hadnt experienced teh problem before and had to do some digging to figure it out, but they were very diligent and chased down the problem.
ahhhhh, the voice,, of EXPERIENCE speaks.........and travis reiterated it........

justinray

Contributor
Reaction score
Is there any way to route the lines to slow down the siphoning effect? My truck CAN'T be down, and I need to do a showerhead fix on the rear tank, and the front tank is MIA, and any time I fix anything, I upgrade.

tanman_2006

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds pretty simple, Drill a couple hole on the headach rack/bed rail and mount the pump, find where to add in wiring for an extra fuel pump, run wires and hoses.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert

Members online