IMPORTANT NEWS FROM ARP!!!!!!!

Brimmstone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just got of the phone with ARP a few minutes ago. I am doing a headgasket job for a customer on 94 IDI-Turbo and had ordered the usual 7.00-1lb stud to hold the heads on. One of the main guys called me asking what I was using the studs for as my customer called and said they were for a 7.3 diesel. His comment was they were the wrong studs for a Powerstroke. I explained they weren't for a Powerstroke but for an IDI engine. A call was made to the manufacturing plant and I was given some awesome news. A KIT is in the works for the 7.3 IDI engine. I'll be getting the first one to try out and send back my feedback. Will get a part number posted tonight.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought it wouldn't take much for them to just develop a kit for the 7.3IDI like they have the 6.9. I just wasn't sure they'd bother, as most aftermarket companies think the old IDI's aren't "worth" the effort as their such a small part of the market now. I'm glad they are proving me wrong.

Good for ARP. Next 7.3 IDI I build, I'll through a set of their studs in the block.;Sweet

Heath

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
When you send the feedback, might want to mention something about a discount for OB members since this site single handedly does more to promote their products and they wouldn't even be putting out a 7.3 IDI kit if it were.t for the persistence of a couple of the members here who have had to wrangle their way throug ARPs specs to get studs for teh 7.3 before they decided to get off their collective arses and finally make a kit.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Typ4 (Russ) was the first member here to get a "set" of studs for our 7.3 idi. He told me about them and the part numbers. So I bought the second set... I had been running the DPS studs and they worked fine...... Till I burned down my engine when a freeze plug let go after 5200 miles from rebuild....:mad:-cuss Those DPS studs went into my second rebuild but.... Two broke on the drivers side head at the exhaust ports. Those were 270,000 psi studs too.... These 7 inch studs that ARP has been selling are about 1/4 to 3/8 inch too long. The overall length needs to be reduced or cut that much off the top fine threads. About the only real way for us to do this is with a lathe. The bottom threads are fine. No need to change them at all. So in closing I say thankyou Russ for turning us on to this fine upgrade to the 7.3 idi.... My collective hat is off to you...:hail:D

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sounds like a nice powerplant could be made now with the 7.3 since it'll have bigger studs :eek:

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Why do you think the studs will be larger and in what way do you think they will be larger....:dunno Do you mean a larger kit of differant head and crank studs or???:dunno:sly

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why do you think the studs will be larger and in what way do you think they will be larger....:dunno Do you mean a larger kit of differant head and crank studs or???:dunno:sly

No, I meant the bolts are bigger on 7.3 (and studs to be) versus 6.9 studs/TTY bolts. Sorry for being vague I'm posting on my cell.

Brimmstone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Talked to ARP again tonight. Part number 250-4204 is active and in effect right now according to the guy I talked to tonight. They use a shorter stud which is part number 6.70-1lb which according to the guy is just over a 1/4 inch shorter. Again I agree with icanfixall hats should be off to Russ for pushing this. First time I talked to the guy today he asked if that was why all the 7.00-1lb studs were being sold.

Brimmstone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Summit shows them available for shipment 4-11-2011 but as usual they are charging through the nose. They want 503.99 for them.

Brimmstone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And last bit of info. Nuts will be a use a 5/8 12 point socket

Brimmstone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Number doesn't show as active on ARPs website but does say for 88-94 7.3

Brimmstone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ford 6.9L International 8740 150-4069
Ford 6.0L Powerstroke ARP2000 250-4202
Ford 7.3L International (1988-04) ARP2000 250-4204
Ford 7.3L Powerstroke (1993-03) ARP2000 250-4201
Ford, 6.4L Powerstroke ARP2000 ARP2000 250-4203

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
No idi head bolts were ever a TTY torque to yield bolt.. Where did that information come from...:dunno Sure glad this new stud is available now From ARP... We really can compete with the big boys......:angel:

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Guess I was assuming since I've hear complaints of em' stretching. thought I heard on here they were but can't find it.

I know ford likes to use TTY on other engines, I think I heard navistar used them on the newer powerstrokes too:dunno