I'm still shaking my head.

hheynow

the misanthrope
Reaction score
Diesel Down...Help!

I'm still shaking my head. It's 9:30 pm and raining really hard. I decided to start the truck so I could go out and when I turned the key I heard a screech from under the hood. The truck started right up but the battery light stayed on. My first thought was one of the alternator top wires had giggled loose so I went to get a flashlight. When I opened the hood I noticed my serp belt off its track. THEN I NOTICED A DEAD RAT OR MOUSE CAUGHT IN THE PULLEYS AND SERP BELT. Blood and guts. It's really gross. I closed the hood in disgust not knowing if there is any damage. Did I say it's raining really hard? It's raining really hard!

So in the morning I'll have to free the dead rodent and inspect for damage. I've never removed or put back a serp belt. Do I need a 15mm socket and cheater bar?

This is really gross! :puke:

Last edited:

jlayne

Bondo Bandito
Reaction score
just rotate the tensioner CCW i think and reallign the belts... i doubt you will have to take it all the way off and i doubt mickey did any damage unless you ran the truck too long with the belt crooked... worst case i bet all you would need is a belt

if it makes you feel any better i started my jeep with a cat in the fan shroud (my ex's).. that made a HUGE mess of the cat (he didn't make it... atleast not in one piece) the shroud, a new flex fan, and the radiator.... the girl i was dating didn't really care too much for me mulching her cat either, she took it worse than the cat did... she cried for like a week and i felt lower than whale poop

i allways ran a flex fan (which are sharp as a razor anyway) without a clutch so there was no slippage at all untill the belts flew off... just some hard core kitty grindage

hheynow

the misanthrope
Reaction score
jlayne said:
if it makes you feel any better i started my jeep with a cat in the fan shroud (my ex's).. that made a HUGE mess of the cat (he didn't make it... at least not in one piece) the shroud, a new flex fan, and the radiator....

:rolleyes: umm...nope. :cry: :cry: I hope its limited to belt damage...

How can I keep them varmints out from under my hood at night? :draw
Field mice and roof rats... :backoff

jlayne

Bondo Bandito
Reaction score
don't get a cat LOL

aside from just getting rid of them all around your property with traps and what not to just decrease their numbers i'm not sure there is a real way to get rid of stuff like that.... although one of those electonic ultra sonic pest control things (like for mosqitoes) i THINK repels mice too... you might check the hardware store, you might could put something like that near the truck or on a extension cord

hheynow

the misanthrope
Reaction score
I can't get a cat. I have a ratzapper for my barn but it can't be set in moist areas like under my truck in a rainstorm. BTW, it's the best rodent killing trap I've ever owned. ;Sweet

You must be registered for see images

Last edited:

jlayne

Bondo Bandito
Reaction score
so i take it that is the equivalent of sending mickey mouse to the electric chair?... thats sick

i'm gonna have to get me one ;Sweet

hheynow

the misanthrope
Reaction score
When the options are spring traps, glue traps, poison bars or electrocution...nuf said! :D

JohnBoyToo

Reaction score
Another Yech thing that happened to me...
when driving my lil turbo charged Eagle talon way back when... flying home late at night in the left lane of the 4 lane divided interstate that hadn't had the median cut in a long while..

I see this red flash come out of the median JUST before I hit it...
only saw it long enough to realize it was a fox....
had blood and guts ALL down the left side of my nice little sports car...
actually couldn't touch the door handles even...
ran right to the closest no touch car wash to clean it off...

Yech !!!!!!!!!!! :)

hheynow

the misanthrope
Reaction score
Ramprat said:
You killed the mouse that ate my wires :eek: :thumbsup:

How did I know you'd say that. :D I knew a rodent was making himself at home under my hood by the tiny turds I saw on my fan shroud, but the chances of it being in my pulleys the second I cranked it up...PRICELESS :rotflmao

...but now the gruesome task of removing the guts YUCK!!!

Rampy, you owe me BIG TIME! LOL

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
hheynow said:
THEN I NOTICED A DEAD RAT OR MOUSE CAUGHT IN THE PULLEYS AND SERP BELT. Blood and guts. It's really gross.

wheres the pictures?!!! ;Sweet cookoo

hheynow

the misanthrope
Reaction score
94f450sd said:
wheres the pictures?!!! ;Sweet cookoo

:sorry: Rich...no photo...but...
...imagine a squished rat (8" to 9" head to tail) in the gap between under the vacuum pump hose and the pulley just below it mangled in the serp. I got it loose with a stick then it fell on the ground under my truck. Shovel flung it into the pasture for the turkey vultures. Gotta recycle...right? :D Inspected for damage and found none ...except a few rodent hairs stuck to the serp. :rolleyes: It started right up, battery light went out and it charged properly.

One thing I noticed after close inspection prior to starting it is that the gap between the drive belt tensioner pulley and the tensioner mounting bolt is quite small (<1/32"). Is that normal? Nothing rubs there, but if it did it would shred the serp.

adrianspeeder

USAF C-17 Avionics
Reaction score
Started a tractor with a belly mower and munched a family of bunnies once. Figured they would have bolted when I started the engine, but oh well.

My favorite walk behind mower is my 10 year old Toro GTS. First model with the Personal Pace system and a clutched blade. Got it off the truck and went to use it on a job, and when I clicked in the blade clutch the blade didn't turn and it started buckin and smokin. Pulled the blade and clutch cover to find the thing packed with grass, hay, and twigs. Still don't know how the buggers got it in there. Then all the baby mice fell out.

Ehhh well what can ya do...

Adrianspeeder