Ignition switch replacement '92

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me what the trick is to replacing the ignition switch on a '92 ?
Third day out with the new engine after sitting 7 months and the ignition switch got seriously heavy sticky today . Doesn't feel like it's going to free up with the graphite spray. looks like i'd better pop a new one in there before we leave town.

Thanks--------Robert

sassyrel

Reaction score
take off shrouds around column--key in stop--look under switch--hole--put bent paper clip in there--depressing button--key to run, pull out--reassemble in reverse---

Double-S-Diesel

parts seller
Reaction score
to replace the switch, drop the lower trim piece , and a t-30 and a 7 mm will change that.
to change thge tumbler, turn the key to on, then through the hole in the shroud , push on the release pin.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
take off shrouds around column--key in stop--look under switch--hole--put bent paper clip in there--depressing button--key to run, pull out--reassemble in reverse---

Thanks. That did the trick for getting the lock cylinder out.
Unfortunately that wasn't what was causing the binding problem.
Looks like there's something binding in the steering column in between the lock cylinder and the switch.
I've got the ford factory manual on cd and it's got an exploded view of the assembly but it doesn't show squat as far as any parts connecting the lock cylinder to the ignition switch.

I may just have to start pumping spray lube in there and hoping something frees up :rolleyes:

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
to replace the switch, drop the lower trim piece , and a t-30 and a 7 mm will change that..

I decided to go ahead and replace the switch and while I was in there i saw a piece of something hanging in the works at the steering wheel end, looks like it may be part of one of the bearings, but I dug it out and everything is working fine now. The mechinism has boneyard markings on it so this isn't the first time it's had problems.
When I get back from this trip I need to look a little closer into it., but for now, everything is functioning ;Sweet

Thanks------Robert

fsr7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When you do get back into it, the colomn is really not that complicated - I had to pull mine all apart a couple days before a moab trip last year because the bearings for the shaft were completely shot. I don't remember the details, but someone else took it all apart and I figured out how to put it back together without there help :backoff the next day... Replacing those bearings when they start going is a good idea though, as mine had been shot for so long that the shaft itself was damaged, so even the new bearings didn't take all of the slop out of it. Mine was a 93 stick shift, btw...

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
It looks like it it would be a friendlier animal to tame on the bench. I'm just not real fond of having to monkey with all that noise still in the dash.
LMC seems to have most of the parts to fix the thing up for not too much.