IGNITION SWITCH HELP NEEDED 911

zukinut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So the front main blew on the geo. I cant fix it till wed cuz the shop is full right now. So im left to drive the ford. Went to fire it up and now the switch doesnt do anything. It turns, and the rod goes down but nothing else happens. what could be bad. I really need this truck to go cuz if it doesnt i cant get to work.

Thanks in advance,
will

yotee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
try the ignition switch at the lower part of the column. i just had to replace one because the internals fell apart. if that is not it then you will be looking at a days work changing the wierd looking pot metal thing that pushes the rod.
the ignition switch is like $10 at nappa.

yotee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
oh the one that the end of the rod goes into with a large plug. you can test it by pulling it off and moving the switch back and forth.

Andylad13

DieselBoy
Reaction score
I would go under and unbolt the switch (two 7/16" nuts I believe) and manually activate it with something like a golf tee or nail to make sure it works or not. Also check the connector to the switch.

Andylad13

DieselBoy
Reaction score
...you will be looking at a days work changing the wierd looking pot metal thing that pushes the rod....

Advance sells this part come to find out. I've replaced it 2 times so far. I'm getting good at it. Takes all of 30 mins or so.

yotee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i've done it a few times and have it down to about 45 min, but the first time is a day.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If that piece in the column is broken, a quick way to get going is take off the plastic collar around the steering column next to the dash. I believe it has just two screws going up though it from the bottom.

Then you should see a rod on top of the column. After you turn the key to run, take pliers and grab the rod and shove it toward the dash. That should make it crank.

After you get it running, if you have a automatic, you might not be able to move the lever out of park. If that happens, take a screwdriver and stick it up in the side of the column and move the little pot metal piece a little bit to let it release the shifter.

seawalkersee

It needs a turbo...
Reaction score
30 min? Is that with the trip to the store? I have it done start to finish in less than 10.

SWS

Michael Fowler

Reaction score
So the front main blew on the geo. I cant fix it till wed cuz the shop is full right now. So im left to drive the ford. Went to fire it up and now the switch doesnt do anything. It turns, and the rod goes down but nothing else happens. what could be bad. I really need this truck to go cuz if it doesnt i cant get to work.

Thanks in advance,
will

Everyone is jumping to the conclusion that its a bad switch, and it may be.

BUT...If the truck has an automatic transmission, is the neutral/park switch possibly at fault? Turn the key to start and wiggle the shift lever around in park and neutral an see it it starts.

zukinut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its the switch, its a manual, i jumped it at the solenoid with my push button remote starter. That pot metal thing was a breeze to change or at least i thought it was. It only makes sense that its the switch on the bottom of the column, Ive replace everything else so why not that :)

Thanks for the help. I was having a brain fart last night

Will

Andylad13

DieselBoy
Reaction score
Everyone is jumping to the conclusion that its a bad switch, and it may be.

BUT...If the truck has an automatic transmission, is the neutral/park switch possibly at fault? Turn the key to start and wiggle the shift lever around in park and neutral an see it it starts.

I thought that the key wouldn't turn if that was the case? Because he says the key turns.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jorge140

Members online