Idle RPM

rickrat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
83 F-350 with the 6.9. Curious as to what rpm's everyone sets the idle to.

Mine is currently about 825 r.p.m.'s

rickrat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I set mine to 650 rpm's, it just seems way to low. The truck shakes and it doesn't seem like the oil pressure is high enough.

At 825 rpm's, it is smoother, and seems to have plenty of oil pressure

FordGuy100

Reaction score
I guess IDI's dont have very high oil preasure, its volume of oil that they move that counts, or at least thats what I've been told.

Whatever works for you man, if you like it there, then leave it. Its not doing any harm ;Sweet

rickrat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When mine is at high idle is runs about 1250 rpm's, when it kicks off, it is right near 825

greythorn3

wheelordie.com
Reaction score
you could just put your high idle on a switch and run it like that all the time if you like or just when you want to.. they high idle trucks all the time here in alaska up on the slope, rarely would one be on low idle. they say low idle lets it get to cool and is ******* the engine.

Ray

FordGuy100

Reaction score
you could just put your high idle on a switch and run it like that all the time if you like or just when you want to.. they high idle trucks all the time here in alaska up on the slope, rarely would one be on low idle. they say low idle lets it get to cool and is ******* the engine.

Ray

Wetstacking its called I believe. When your EGT's get to low, and all the fuel doesnt burn completly. Over time that all adds up and does something bad, dont really know what though.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
650 is factory spec. If it doesn't run good at that speed, it's got something wrong with it. A lower idle is a nice feature of these engines. Those Cummins motors idle around 850, and everytime I hear one I think "Isn't it warmed up yet?" LOL

Optikalillushun

Reaction score
i was gunna say 650-700 is normal but it depends on the transmission on some engines.

mine idles around 650-700 all day if i wanted it to. also i believe wet stacking is like running a gas engine pig rich, it will dilute the engine oil and wash the oil film off the cylinder walls leading to wear.

Cheaper Jeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Factory spec is indeed 650 RPM +/- 50 RPMs.

I thought mine was pretty darned high at 750-800, but it seems others have theirs even higher.

Mine runs just fine idling at 650, or even 600 - BUT with my SMF the tranny sounds like a washing machine full of marbles! Kicking it up a couple of hundred RPMs quited it down quite a bit.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle