Idle/Governor issue

85hauler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I recently changed the governor springs in the Inj. pump on my hauler with ones from a GM 6.2. Got the RPM increase I was looking for. However now I can't get my idle below 875 or so. Any thoughts?

Chuckdiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I dont have an answer but I think I idle high as well about 800rpms where is the normal range and How can I adjust it

85hauler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine used to idle around 600 or so. My other truck idles at 650, I think the valve cover decal says 650. Normally you adjust the screw on the linkage on the side of the pump. I now have the screw back off so much that it doesn't even contact and my idle is still at 875.

85hauler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what was your rpm increase?

It will now rev too 3900 out of gear just holding it at WOT. The current pump would only rev to 3000 before. The first pump that was in the truck when I got it (Had it rebuilt 1 time) would rev to 3400 or so. I was only looking to get it back to the 3400 -3500 range but 3900 will do.

dieseldummy

Lost in time
Reaction score
If the low idle screw doesn't do anything you'll need to take the top cover off and adjust the springs. To get it to idle lower you need to tighten the spring down so that the whole assembly is shorter.

85hauler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Basically turn the threaded block down tighter against the spring, correct? That sounds easy enough. Thanks

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With the pump cover off, just make sure you have something to clap over the intake in case it tries to runaway on you. Good luck with that, you showed some major guts diving into one of these pumps yourself. What you did is one of the two big mods that Ken and other performance pump builders do to make a turbo pump. 1) Replace gov. springs with GM for higher redline 2) adjust fuel delivery curve 3) replace the fuel plungers with larger ones.

85hauler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Injection pump is about the only thing in the Auto and Diesel world that I haven't dived too deep into. I've been building drag cars for years and have worked on everything from heavy equipment to single engine aircraft. The injection pump is the final frontier so to speak. I have a spare one that I plan too tear down and rebuild, but there is little info available on the pumps. The pump shops tend to be tight lipped about the inner workings of the pumps. If the info was more readily available then I don't think people would be so scared of them. It's just another mechanical device.

dieseldummy

Lost in time
Reaction score
Yeah, tighten just like you said. You might get a few more RPMs that way too. I agree with you about the pumps and lack of info. I was always tired of not being able to find anything out about them so I jumped in with both feet. I'm no expert now, but I do fully under stand how they work.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online