IDIT v. 99 Powerstroke

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Was wrenching on a buddies truck, installing a torque converter lock switch. This is what he drives:

1999 F350 CC LB SRW 7.3 powerstroke/4R100 4x4 3.73 gears. He has a 6637 filter, straight pipe, and TW 6 pos chip. Anyways we did a couple of 0-50 runs with his chip on daily. His 0-50 times averaged about 7.6 ish.

Now, I replaced my air filter yesterday, got home from work at 9 and did that LOL. So I decided to warm it up to operating temp and do the same thing. My 0-50 times: 7.6ish. Each run was a little different, but they averaged to the same number.

Now if he was on extreme he would have won hands down. Also, TW on stock, his 0-50 was 10.4 seconds.

So I'm feeling pretty good that this old girl kept up with his truck. Now, my truck does weigh about 1500 pounds less though....so if I had a CC LB I'm sure it would have been slower.

Oh, and the "ish" part is margain of error. Each run was within .2 seconds for each truck, those 7.6 were the average.

Last edited:

brdmh44

Midwest Chopper
Reaction score
Average rule of thumb, 100 pounds = 1/10th of a second in a quarter mile run. But that's still not bad considering how much power that psd is putting out.

Dave7.3

Diesel ******
Reaction score
Nice run!
That is a bit surprising actually, those PSD trucks can lay down some decent numbers with a few mods.

Is his 99' an early model? I remember being told to avoid the early ones as their injectors and HPOP were cut back for emissions. No idea though. :dunno

FordGuy100

Reaction score
You have to remember. Your truck isn't stock either. And 1500lbs makes a HUGE difference.

I know my truck isnt stock, but that has nothing to do with it. I was just suprised it would keep up. Yes 1500 pounds makes a large difference, but thats why I posted that up as well. No doubt my truck makes less hp/tq to keep up as his truck has to offset the weight difference.

And yes his truck is a E99, but he has a 17* pump.

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
I know my truck isnt stock, but that has nothing to do with it. I was just suprised it would keep up. Yes 1500 pounds makes a large difference, but thats why I posted that up as well. No doubt my truck makes less hp/tq to keep up as his truck has to offset the weight difference.

And yes his truck is a E99, but he has a 17* pump.

I dont know how much less HP your truck makes.I would think his truck on a lower setting is close to the HP you are at.

The early 99 powerstokes were only 235HP. Late ones went to 250 for an auto and 275 for the stick.

How much HP do you figure your truck makes w your mods? 250-275ish.

Your times will tend to be slower off the bat just because you cant row that t-19 thru the gears as fast as the 4r100 can. But you should be very close in HP to the mildly turned up Powerstroke

sheepman

TDS Refugee
Reaction score
Nice run!
That is a bit surprising actually, those PSD trucks can lay down some decent numbers with a few mods.

Is his 99' an early model? I remember being told to avoid the early ones as their injectors and HPOP were cut back for emissions. No idea though. :dunno

E99 have a lower voltage IDM and smaller turbo compared to the late 99's.
The smaller stuff has to donwith Ford being cheap in 98 when the e99's were made and using left over PSD engines and parts from 97 trucks and vans.

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
E99 have a lower voltage IDM and smaller turbo compared to the late 99's.
The smaller stuff has to donwith Ford being cheap in 98 when the e99's were made and using left over PSD engines and parts from 97 trucks and vans.

Most people don't realize that. The only change to the engine was the charge cooler and split shot injectors.

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
Turbo, exhaust manifolds, engine programing, injectors, and i am sure there is something else that I am forgeting

bigoilburner19

Reaction score
dang man i didn't know that but they did last a long time those e99's friend of mine from school he had one and he said he got 600k on the clock. it drove like it was brand new and he kept up matenaice alil to ocd if u ask me oil changes with synthetics every 2500 miles and he had it since the day he bought it. that od was really wanting to die or sumthin i never even seen one go to 600 let alone 300k without needing major repair. But 6.9's and 7.3's will never die and will always be IMHO the best motors no matter what anyone says.

yeah, sure go and get a powerchoke and yeah sure you get power and not much of a workhorse. just a show motor all blow and no go JOE lol . If you want a motor to last for awhile and work for you and will take a licking and keep asking for more. then 6.9 or 7.3 without a turbo that turbo to me means nothing to me at all. one more thing and then im done talking lol. the turbo is another problem to just screw up a perfect motor there is no need for extra power yeah if you muscle get a muscle car or put power in a nice camaro or mustang not these trucks. the reason why they lasted so long was because they were meant to... ok I'm sry to babble but had to get that off my chest lol..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin

Members online