Idi n/a exhaust

503sp01

Reaction score
it's going to be a while before I can get my turbo kit I was thinking until then doing 3" from the manifolds to a good y pipe then 4" out before the tire do you think it to big being n/a

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think you should save your money and find a used turbo kit.
I mean... You aren't going to see any noticable difference(except for noise) in going to a massive exhaust system.
If you want to improve it, just take whatever you have and throw on a glasspack muffler. Make sure the end of the exhaust exits /outside/ the truck(not a dump underneath), and call it good. Save your money for the turbo.

Remember, you are totally limited by air /into/ the engine. I tried for the longest time to get better performance from my truck at the time, and, really... not a whole lot of difference no matter what I did.

Put a turbo on it? Definite improvement. Crank up the fuel to match? Massive improvement. Install a big enough injection pump to max out the turbo? Significant improvement.

And, once you have the turbo, near as I can tell, a single 3" will do just fine.

Heck, my 93 is currently making 250 on the dyno - a NA makes about 125. What do I have? A stock NA motor, factory turbo kit(with restrictive downpipe), straight 2.5" stock pipe and a nice 110CC IP. It /rocks/.
(I had the same pump on an 88 with Banks turbo and 3" exhaust with a glasspack muffler. I *also* got approximately 250 on the dyno. Stock/kit turbos just aren't big enough for more than that)

Sure, you can spend as much money as you want on exhaust components, cold air intakes etc... But for more power, you need more air and fuel. Nothing gets you air like a turbo. Simple as that.

And, if you watch the wrecking yards, Craigslist or car-part.com, you should be able to find a used kit for $500 ish... and I've seen exhaust kits in that range.

Garbage_Mechan

Garbage Mechanic
Reaction score
Just to keep everything in perspective: I agree a turbo kit is the most bang for the buck.

I had a company truck that I could not do modifications to but could do "replacements". So the exhaust system needed to be replaced with a Banks Stinger system LOL. They no longer make this but the basics were a free flowing Y and 3.5 inch tailpipe. I picked up 1mpg and some performance.

As far as I know the Banks stinger is no longer available. The Y is beautiful, like from a race fab shop.

Walker Dynomax system has a slightly better Y but still a "tee". Basically the rest of the system is from a Powerstroke 4" kit. I installed one of these, it was OK but the Y is not as free flowing. It was a work truck and I have no MPG comparisions on it.

What would do today is get an inexpensive 4" 94-97 Powerstroke system. Get some mandrel bent parts and rebuild the Y for better flow and adapt up to the PSD sytem. Then, when I was ready to turbo, the 7.3 downpipe can be modified to use with the IDI turbo kit. So only the effort to improve the Y pipe would be wasted later when the turbo went on.