IDI into a gasser?

John Haggerty

Birth Certificate
Reaction score
Brothers,
As I look into another IDI, I'm thinking about taking my engine out and putting into a gasser (I dislike the rust condition of my frame plus the regular cab). What year gasser's can I put it into without much extra work. However I do have a condition, the gasser must be able to be put into my current IDI. I've seen a few good possibilities (one being a 94 with 31K original miles).
Thanks,
John

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
John Haggerty said:
Brothers,
As I look into another IDI, I'm thinking about taking my engine out and putting into a gasser (I dislike the rust condition of my frame plus the regular cab). What year gasser's can I put it into without much extra work. However I do have a condition, the gasser must be able to be put into my current IDI. I've seen a few good possibilities (one being a 94 with 31K original miles).
Thanks,
John
how clean of a conversion do you want to do? If you do want it to look clean, stay with any 87-91 chassis. Why? the wiring. gutting one of these trucks is alot easier than you can imagine. But you do need to stay with the generation of interior to avoid electrical issues. It makes Mel cringe when I do it, but many Reg cab trucks have fallen victim to a canibal job on my driveway. to keep things undetectable to a buyer(should you eventually sell), I change over the dash assembly, steering column and pedal assy(if auto to man conversion). This also includes the engine compartment wiring harness. One other thing, the feul tanks and filler necks need to be changed out too.