IDI inplace of POWERSTROKE

rancherman84

P.E.R.F.E.C.T!
Reaction score
well i might have a line on 96 or 97 F-350 powerstroke 4x4 auto with a blown engine.the truck has well over 200,000 on it but the body isnt really that bad.
(compared to mine),since my old IDI runs like a top and i have my banks turbo to put on it,if the truck is worth it i am pondering pulling my IDI and swaping it into the newer truck.this should be alot simpler than doing the powerstroke into IDI swap. guess my questions are-
1.will i be able to use the wiring harness for the auto,mine has the E4OD and i am assuming the newer truck has the 4R100 ?
2.are things such as the engine mounts,radiator and such the same between IDI and POWERSTROKE equiped trucks?
i relize some rewiring will have to be done,but that should be fairly simple,just need 12 volts to the pump and glowplug controler basicly.anything else i'm overlooking?will know more this weekend after i go look at the truck in person.

NJKen

is a daddy!
Reaction score
The powerstroke computer wont work the trans without the powerstroke engine. That will be a wiring hassle to say the least. The trans in the 96 or 97 is still an E4OD. The 4R100 started in 99 and that should bolt to an IDI. I dont think the motor mounts changed and you should be able to find radiator hoses that you can make work. You will be in for a project.
The last problem (maybe not in your state) is that in a lot of states it is illegal to install an older engine in a vehicle. You can use a used engine of the same year or newer. The theory behind this is that older engnines where not built to the emisions stadards of the new one :Whatever:
Best of luck
Ken

92 F-350CC

Reaction score
The remanned tranny in my 92 was a 97, if you pull the pan and switch to the older internal valve body it should work, shouldn't it?

yARIC008

Drives really slow
Reaction score
I got a question. Who would even know you put an older engine in it? Like even if you have inspections, the person probably doesn't even know what a powerstroke sounds like. But of course if there are emissions tests, then it'll do alot worse than a powerstroke :(

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You will be able to just drop your radiator into the PSD front clip. I know when I added the '95 PSD clip to my project truck, I could not be happier to see the IDI rad just drop in and bolt up without a single modification. The wiring is a whole other ballgame for the tranny. I can't help you there buddy.

Heath

PackRat

Buzzard Pilot
Reaction score
You need to talk to they guy I bend exhaust for. My project this afternoon just happens to be.....dramatic pause....

Bending new exhaust for a Stroker, that just received an IDI.

http://tandjauto.com/index.htm

Last edited:

rancherman84

P.E.R.F.E.C.T!
Reaction score
well i thought i would just pull the harness out of my 92 and install it in the newer truck
i'm not to worried about the emissons crap,it's not what you know it's who you know :Sly
packrat-got a number?

PackRat

Buzzard Pilot
Reaction score
Apparently you didn't check out the website too carefully. It's only listed right on the front page.......and in the page title......

785-346-2844

rancherman84

P.E.R.F.E.C.T!
Reaction score
sorry didnt relize that the shop owner did the swap.thought that it was a customer truck

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
well basicly you will need the oppisite of whats needed to swap a PSD into an IDIs place.your gonna need the under dash harness,engine harness and computer for the tranny.

but why would you want to do that?id take my PSD over my IDI anyday!if it wasnt so much work id swap a PSD into my 94!i cant stand not being able to pass people and takeing all day to do it if i try to pass someone.since i cant pass people with the IDI i have resorted to getting right on the back bumper and makeing them pull over so i can go by or just laying on the air horns when they work.

rancherman84

P.E.R.F.E.C.T!
Reaction score
well the guy that told me about the truck was wrong its a gasser :puke: ,so this plans out the window.
94f450sd,did you forget where you are :draw ,first,i thought the truck had a BLOWN powerstroke,we keep our IDI's because they are simple to maintain and service,anyway hasent it been proven that a turbo IDI will walk all over a early powerstroke?
that being said i like any diesel made by IH and any truck made by ford with a diesel in it.i know where there is a 97 F-350 PS 4x4 with about 6,000 original miles,that i would trade my wife for :angel:

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
rancherman84 said:
94f450sd,did you forget where you are :draw ,first,i thought the truck had a BLOWN powerstroke,we keep our IDI's because they are simple to maintain and service,anyway hasent it been proven that a turbo IDI will walk all over a early powerstroke?

hasnt it been proven that i have both a turbo IDI and a powerstroke?my powerstroke will walk all over the IDI stock.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
im talking when it was stock.its far from stock now but when i first got it and replaced the engine the only thing it had performance wise was a 3"down pipe with full factory exhaust includeing the cat converter and it blow the doors off my IDI.i ran both trucks down the highway.had a friend driving the IDI and me in the PSD the IDI could not catch the PSD if i payed it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin

Members online