IDI engine value?

dizdak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, so i really like my truck, just hate the engine.. Getting close to either selling the truck for a newer one or doing a cummins swap... my initial question is, is there a market for these IDI engines? take my engine, 94 factory turbo IDI, 280K miles on it, Baby moose and BB injectors through Conestoga diesel with less than 4k miles since install.. no other engine mods.. runs good, a little smoke on start up but thats from the started being a little weak and turning slower i think.. OR, would i be better pulling the baby moose and injectors and selling them and sending the engine to the scrap yard? just looking for extra food for thought... Really don't want a $400 a month payment on a newer truck, would rather spend $4-5k on a nice cummins swap, and don't really think i will feasibly get what i want by doing any more mods to the IDI... thanks to all...

Boltgun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think you'd get more from parting out the pump, turbo kit, and then the engine.

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would agree sell pump, injectors, turbo kit, sell long block as a core. Definitely worth more money that way.

haubert

Reaction score
I might be interested in pump and injectors, if looking to part out soon

Sent from my ADR6410LVW using Tapatalk

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Please don't scrap the engine. Its worth more than money because the blocks are no longer made. Being a turbo block makes it even more scarce when a person wants one. these turbo engines were only make for 60 months. Their block serial numbers begin at 1,116,331 and go up from there to an unknown number but it was not much at all.

dizdak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok.. i will see how this turns out.. seems like there would be interest motor/ parts if i do the swap, which is great will help with some of the costs... i will definately post on here when the time comes.. gotta get through the holidays and till about Feb at least financially!

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Turbo heads differ from non turbo heads only because the exhaust valves are made from a different material called inconel. Its a high grade stainless steel resistant to heat and wear. Some time back franklin published an article bout the non turbo and the turbo idi engines. they felt no non turbo engine could handle the stress of adding a turbo but adding a turbo to a turbo block was ok.. not all turbo blocks came with a turbo.. I say this to that... BS.... and this...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5m_vTH93G2A

dizdak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
will keep everyone in mind.. got a local(ish) member that PMd me soon as i posted this, so for no shipping costs i will see what he is interested in then go from there... thanks.

Defrocked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Keep us posted on your situation, I need a new IP and injectors and I'm thinking of doing the same swap as you.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin

Members online