IDI Electric Fans? Performance Upgrades?

HondaCowboy82

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got an 86 F-250 with the 6.9L and 4spd. Thinking about electric fans on her. What kind of Power if any could i free up deleting the stock fan? Also i have a set of Stan's headers on it, what other upgrades could i do to maximize performance but not break the bank? Also has anybody used the KN filter top and is it worth the money?

Right now it has Stan's headers with a 3" Straight Pipe

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
An inexpensive item to add would be the hypermax cowl induction setup. Easy to install and it draws the high pressure air from under the windshield. They are on sale now for $88.00. Knowing what mufflers will help to understand if they are causing any back pressure or reducing the ehaust flow. Usually a turbo eqpuited engine doesn't require a muffler because the turbo chops up the sound signiture so well. Yeasrs ago the tractor pulls would have as many as 7 turbos on the engines they ran. You rev them up and all you hear is the rushing out of the sir as it leaves the exhaust. It almost sounds like an air leak on a storage cylinder...:sly

7river

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Usually a turbo eqpuited engine doesn't require a muffler because the turbo chops up the sound signiture so well. Yeasrs ago the tractor pulls would have as many as 7 turbos on the engines they ran. You rev them up and all you hear is the rushing out of the sir as it leaves the exhaust. It almost sounds like an air leak on a storage cylinder...:sly

Is this true for the IDI's?
I'm looking to put a turbo on the E350 as soon as I find one (and fix the tranny)

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What kind of Power if any could i free up deleting the stock fan?

no one has dyno run with one on/locked/off for comparisons yet sadly.:(
but it's been estimated to rob 20-32 rear wheel hp when locked up, by experienced, seasoned, idi enthusiasts before, if this helps ya.;Sweet

take it off and go for a careful short drive around town.you'll feel it.

corliss010492

Reaction score
i was wondering if that hypermax cowl induction works on a 7.3 idi non turbo, thanks

FordGuy100

Reaction score
I don't have a fan on my truck and it feels exactly the same as with the fan. Will find out about mileage soon, have about 210 miles on the front tank with almost all city driving. So I would guess 14-16mpg. That's the same as with the fan on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanohawk

Members online