IDI Compression issues

Sealboy_04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a compression test done on my IDI and i got pretty good readings from all cylinders but one. The number one cylinder has 50 psi. The shop didnt have a leakdown tester for a truck that old (1991) so i was forced to do the leakdown myself.
I have never done a leakdown test before so i dont know if i did it correctly. I took out all of the glow plugs and then put the tester on the number one cylinder. I didnt know how to check for TDC so i just lined up the timing marks on the harmonic balancer. I put air to the tester and got air whooshing out of my intake. I assume because i was in the power stroke not the compression stroke. I dont know.
I then turned the crank all the way around to the timing mark again and did the test again. I can hear the air whooshing somewhere but cant tell where. No air coming out of the coolant, no air coming out of the dipstick that i can tell, and not a noticeable amount coming out of the exhaust. I am stuck!
The only thing i can tell you is that I can hear air underneath the engine pretty well but cant tell where its coming from.
I was also told that i should expect some air to come out of the dipstick because the rings will always leak some.
And the leakdown tester would shoe 100% leakdown then slowly it would drop to around 40-60 and hold there.
I can still drive the truck but really want to fix this problem. I has become the bain of my existence.