IDI.... compound turbos?

Who would run a compound setup on a built IDI?

• Total voters

Chemgrad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thewespaul is right. I don't know if anyone has taken my suggestion but the guys at PDD really have gone through a lot of this stuff on Cummins and have videos and numbers available on Youtube. I've not talked with them but I bet they would be willing to discuss options with you if you gave them a call or sent them an email. I'm not in anyway remotely tied to their business I just like the way they go about tuning and testing various setups. They do have stuff available for the IDI on their website as well. Let me know how this works out for you as I was thinking of building a compound system as well someday.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve spoken with Dustin at PDD for some of my projects, very helpful guy and pointed me in the right direction for picking turbos for different applications, although a 5.9 and an idi are very different, air flow is air flow, and these engines flow extremely well for a 35 year old design.

hce

So can i....
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is called talking in terms of airflow. That is, lbs/min of air(mass). This is what turbos are rated in, and power can be calculated from that at a given air/fuel ratio. Then you can back-calculate what PSI you need(at what temperature) based on the lbs/min of air mass flow you need.
lbs/min rating is this a constant or is it assuming the turbo started with air at atmospheric pressure?

Chemgrad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Once again Thewespaul is right. Airflow is airflow.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
440wagon

Staff online