IDI 91 vs 91 cab & body

tcossuto

Reaction score
IDI 91 vs 92 cab & body

Well I've searched extensively, joined this forum, and searched more but I can't find the answer to my question.

1992 they changed the van body style to the newer bubbly body. The IDI was an optional motor from the factory.

I have a 1991 that has an awesome frame and good idi motor. It's a cutaway with an ambulance body mounted.

The cab has rust issues needing rockers, cabcorners and other work. I'd like to swap cabs.

Can I take a 1994 cab and bolt it to my 1991 frame and motor? I do have a turbo, although I can make something work with the doghouse, if that's the problem.

The steering seems a little different angle, but I can swap steering columns or boxes no problem. Wiring is close to nothing (aside from ambulance lights).

so... my question: Will a 1994 cab bolt onto a 1991 frame and will the cutaway be in the same relative location?

I bought a 1998 ambulance when I was a kid and it was a nightmare... someone had taken a 1985 body and remounted it. I think that was a whole nother can of worms though. If the body will bolt on and line up the same on the frame and body I can make it work, I believe.

Thanks in advance!
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

tcossuto

Reaction score
Anybody? Will the 92 up cutaway body bolt to my frame? Will the rear facing mounts be the same? Thanks!~

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Seems to me Ford likes to make things simple when they can and do sheet metal changes only.

However I don't have vans so I cannot speak from Exp.

My suggestion in regards to body/frame mounts would be to get out the mats/tape measures/paper/pens and start doing comparative measurements and drawings. If they are like trucks, they are direct bolt on and sheet metal only changes with minor frame updates for crumple zone etc but mounts all same spot..ON TRUCKS!

AS for cab/roofline side line cardboard templates are your friend. Use the one ON the ambulance, trace cardboard and cut it out and fit it to NEW cab if fits, yer golden!

Sorry not any more help

Al

BTW Welcome to OB there are van guys here hopefully they can assist you.

Look into the FAQ/TECH and Hall of shame sections too

ADd your info for your rides into your signature as well please.

Al

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Awesome thanks! I'll put my info in tonight. The trucks are the same from all years? 99 and 90?

Truck frames in essence did not change much from 80-91 basically same shape and body mount locations, in 92 front section of frame forward of engine crossmember changed a small bit but the actual mounting locations for the tin work remained the same, this is why you can take an 86 frame add a 91 cab and 93 clip if you want...all the main body mount locations remained the same, I would think right up to 97 for the end of the OBS body style, after that things changed.

Now we are talking F2/350 frames here not F450/Superduty frames! There is a difference in Cab/chassis frames from PU frames.

Cab Chassis frames have same cab mounts but different frames so they utilized mounts different in shape as far as I'm able to determine!

I don't think Ford would change the mantra for Vans so hope you can make it all work the same as trucks can!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online