IDEAS FOR A HOTSHOT

ameristar1

The One Blue Thing
Reaction score
Why?...................... I worked on them for a living, the thrill is gone in dissecting a 3406. leave it there at 2100rpm and it will continue to live forever.

I know, I know. Hey, thanks for the input.

When are you going to be settled in TN? Maybe I could swing by and borrow the twin sticker for practice in the mountains.

ameristar1

The One Blue Thing
Reaction score
Ameristar,

My new home and shop is 15mi west of Exit 80 on I-24, I will let you borrow if you
go get it for me! :lol:

You know it's gonna cost ya, and I'm not cheap!

If I had the time, I'd fly out and grab it, but I know for the next year or so it's going to be focused on work and getting these IDI ideas into reality.
I want folks to be happy with the product, and testing testing testing is my basic rule. If it breaks on me, ok, someone else, not cool.

FWIW, I read on freepatentsonline about a liner, connecting rod, high ratio rocker mod for the two strokers. The guy that invented it got another 150hp out of a marine 8V-92 (886hp versus 736hp stock), reducing the emissions in the process.

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ya I'm still around just been running a nice hard 4450 mile per week average the last month and a half.

Biggest issues are the lack of power in a bad head wind, cab noise, no where to put anything in this cramped obs pickup cab and small bunk. horible ride with a spring suspension, lack of some parts availability running otr as the truck stops cater to big rigs and it's sometimes hard to get people to work on these trucks........ too big for car shops and sometimes too small for the truck shops.

Allison AT545 blows. Makes the poor Cummapart run wound up at 2500 rpm through the gears and climbing hills with it's lack of a lock up torqe converter. This tranny makes a Cummins 12 valve sound like a Detroit 6-71 2 stroke.

What I would do different. taller truck cab, air ride suspension and seat, better tranny, bigger sleeper, better aerodynamics and an aluminum bed and wheels to stay as light as I am now as well as 255-22.5 tires you can actually find on the road. 19.5 tires are a beach to get, especially 245 19.5 tires. I still like my 5.9 12 valve.

ameristar1

The One Blue Thing
Reaction score
Ya I'm still around just been running a nice hard 4450 mile per week average the last month and a half.

Biggest issues are the lack of power in a bad head wind, cab noise, no where to put anything in this cramped obs pickup cab and small bunk. horible ride with a spring suspension, lack of some parts availability running otr as the truck stops cater to big rigs and it's sometimes hard to get people to work on these trucks........ too big for car shops and sometimes too small for the truck shops.

Allison AT545 blows. Makes the poor Cummapart run wound up at 2500 rpm through the gears and climbing hills with it's lack of a lock up torqe converter. This tranny makes a Cummins 12 valve sound like a Detroit 6-71 2 stroke.

What I would do different. taller truck cab, air ride suspension and seat, better tranny, bigger sleeper, better aerodynamics and an aluminum bed and wheels to stay as light as I am now as well as 255-22.5 tires you can actually find on the road. 19.5 tires are a beach to get, especially 245 19.5 tires. I still like my 5.9 12 valve.

Man, you're running team miles. But it's better than unemployment, that's for sure.

After running a couple of older KW's and experiencing the same thing as you're experiencing now, I knew if I ever got back out on the road that I'd make some changes so that an already hard job could be more enjoyable.

Even with the MD, if it doesn't have an extended cab I won't drive it. I was running tall rubber on the W900, and of course you paid for it. The K100, well, you know where I am going with that. Drove my friend's Volvo with a Series 60 and that changed the game for me.

Having more than enough power to do the job, that'll never change.

Talked to Jeff over at Garmon's Diesel about the pump mods, and it looks like a build would cost 1650.00. He said stick with the stock HX-35 for max economy. I'd even go through the trouble of putting one of those tow cams from Scheid, PDR, etc. if it meant picking up another mile to the gallon or so.

Wish you well out on the road, be safe.;Sweet

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Man, you're running team miles. But it's better than unemployment, that's for sure.

After running a couple of older KW's and experiencing the same thing as you're experiencing now, I knew if I ever got back out on the road that I'd make some changes so that an already hard job could be more enjoyable.

Even with the MD, if it doesn't have an extended cab I won't drive it. I was running tall rubber on the W900, and of course you paid for it. The K100, well, you know where I am going with that. Drove my friend's Volvo with a Series 60 and that changed the game for me.

Having more than enough power to do the job, that'll never change.

Talked to Jeff over at Garmon's Diesel about the pump mods, and it looks like a build would cost 1650.00. He said stick with the stock HX-35 for max economy. I'd even go through the trouble of putting one of those tow cams from Scheid, PDR, etc. if it meant picking up another mile to the gallon or so.

Wish you well out on the road, be safe.;Sweet

Just getting that last hard push in to fatten the wallet before the holidays when the RV plants shut down.

Good luck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online