Ideal fuel milage, 88 F-350

Jonny878

Reaction score
89 F450 7.3

Hello all, I have a question regarding the purchase of a diesel. I am looking at purchasing a 89 F450 7.3 (after market turbo) and I was hesitant on purchasing the truck due to its weight. The set up is custom steel bed that makes the total wieght of the truck about 11.5k-12k pounds. I also took measurements and did the math and that sounds about correct. The good is the engine has low miles 30k, but the weight!

What do you think the fuel ecomony would be on an even grade and with hills also? Any input would be helpful. Thanks.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not real sure on the fuel mileage although 12 mpg sounds about right. The big problem is not the weight so much as the gear ratio, either 4.88 or 5.13 gears, makes it a screamer. If you could get 4.10s for that D80 you might get a little better. The big concern with a 450 is you need to check with your insurance company and see if your premium will get real expensive or not...also check how much your registration will be. I wouldn't reject it out of hand. What purpose would you use it for? Just a DD or a work truck..or what?

funnyman06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In my stock 85 f250 2wd N/A C6 with 3.54 rear i get about 19 mpg. I do about 55 on the freeway though...

Jonny878

Reaction score
JD, yes I wanted to be able to use this as my DD if I had too. I checked with my insurance and they were having trouble finding the vehicle in their system (strange), but they said find the VIN and call them back. She did not think my premium would increase to much. What has your experience been?

That is good to hear about the fuel economy and gearing could be used to help the overall performance. That is critcal these days with desiel prices increasing. In regard to fuel consumption, I was under the impression that once you exceeded the towing capacity or have a large load, that fuel consumption would increase due to power demands. Does this sound right?

Not real sure on the fuel mileage although 12 mpg sounds about right. The big problem is not the weight so much as the gear ratio, either 4.88 or 5.13 gears, makes it a screamer. If you could get 4.10s for that D80 you might get a little better. The big concern with a 450 is you need to check with your insurance company and see if your premium will get real expensive or not...also check how much your registration will be. I wouldn't reject it out of hand. What purpose would you use it for? Just a DD or a work truck..or what?

Cat_Rebel

Does not compute
Reaction score
Hello all, I have a question regarding the purchase of a diesel. I am looking at purchasing a 89 F450 7.3 (after market turbo) and I was hesitant on purchasing the truck due to its weight. The set up is custom steel bed that makes the total wieght of the truck about 11.5k-12k pounds. I also took measurements and did the math and that sounds about correct. The good is the engine has low miles 30k, but the weight!

What do you think the fuel ecomony would be on an even grade and with hills also? Any input would be helpful. Thanks.
The Dana 80 also came with the Dodge 3500 Duallys. You could buy them from the factory with 3.54 or 4.10 gears. For how heavy that F450 is I'd stick with the 4.10s & drive it easy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitsu tractor

Members online