I was looking at the new and revised rules for over 12,000lb trucks

Pacific

Gravel Rat
Reaction score
Yikes I was with the rules and regs I'am supposed to follow as I'am operating a truck with a gvw greater than 12,000lbs. The gov't is revising the rules as they deregulated the trucking industry plus the fact the newer 1 ton P/Us have heavier gvws. So after reading all the stuff I'am definatly gonna try make a F-350 work to fit my needs.

I'am not going to say what I'am not doing properly but if I do get caught man my wallet might be couple hundred dollars lighter from the fines from the revised regulations :eek:

The debate on what truck size of truck I need is finally settled a F-350 is it ;Sweet

Pacific

Gravel Rat
Reaction score
Its all this new National Safety Code crap and they added stuff to it. If you are over 12,125lbs you need the gvw posted its manadatory (fineable) you need a company name posted. I know your suppose to have the sticker that goes on your license plate is suppose to be on the front plate I knew that but didn't realize it was fineable thats 86 dollars.

If I travel more than 160kms 99 miles radius from my house I need to run a log book like the big trucks do cookoo

With the truck being over 5500kgs you legally have to stop at weigh scales on the highway if you don't stop its a 115.00 dollar fine.

Now heres the expensive part if you don't have the NSC number and your hauling other peoples goods or using the truck commerically its a 311 dollar fine :eek: I didn't know that.

For me to get away from the NSC number I need to register a the truck for 4999kgs or 11,020lbs which will only give me a legal payload of around 3000lbs with a F-350 I can't get the gvw of a F-Superduty any lower than 5700kgs.

Anyhow after reading the fines I could get I better add some things to my truck I haven't been caught yet but I haven't pizzed off any DOT either ;Poke

Oh ya these NSC rules applies to anybody that pulls a trailer full time where you need to license the truck for the total GCWR so a F-350 even a F-250 that pulls a 10,000lb plus trailer.

The newer F-350 dually P/Us (Superduty) with the heavier gvws will need to follow the new rules.

Its a real pizz off a F-450 sized truck shouldn't be considered as a commercial truck. The gov't has found another way to bend a person over and ream them for more money.

The last time I tried applying for a NSC number they said it would take a couple months plus I would have to pay extra yearly fee's.

Last edited:

rubberfish

Reaction score
Dambnicetruck said:
Hey , what regs? I'm in Surrey B.C, is there something I should know about? :confused:
Only if you're using your truck for work.
If not? 5001 kgs is the magic number.:)
:flipa aircare LOL

wwwabbit

Mmmmm Diesel
Reaction score
Pacific said:
Its a real pizz off a F-450 sized truck shouldn't be considered as a commercial truck.

And you can honestly say that you are going to use your F-450 for nothing but personal use? Is your camper really that big?
Really, if you are using your truck in a commercial application, you need to follow the rules just like everyone else should be. Ya, the government sucks some times, but those rules are there to keep us all safe on the road.

NapaBavarian

Dually driver 6.9
Reaction score
Hey-

I know in CA there is a cutoff, I think it is 11,500# and if you have a pickup bed your registration load fees are based on unladen weight, if over that or if you dont have a pickup box, aka if you have a flatbed or utility body you must pay load fees based on maximum gross combination the truck will be operated at, much more $$$ :(

Pacific

Gravel Rat
Reaction score
My truck is a work/daily driver I use the truck to haul landscape materials and do rubbish removal. I'am going to get back into the landscaping again for the winter there is so much work the other landscapers are not answering their phones. That makes me feel better I know I will have lots of work for the winter if I advertise and let people know I'am back into the hauling.

I will haul up to 2-3 yards of material being 3 yards is topsoil if its really light then 4 yards. When I had a dump truck before people wanted sand or navvy jack for small concrete mixing or people want screenings for their driveway usually they only need 2 yards. Most excavation contractors don't want to pizz around delivering less than 12 yards they are so busy doing their big jobs.

I'am thinking about trying a F-350 again the only problem if I get caught overloaded the DOT can make me go get my truck inspected by a repair shop which isn't cheap either. The insurance is classed as null and void untill the inspection is done and I take the inspection papers to the RCMP station.

They may go the other way and give me a overweight fine which is 11.50 dollars for every 100kgs 220lbs I'am over gvw or axle weights.

The axle rating on a 10.25 Ford dually is around 8200lbs I don't know if anybody has exceeded that or not. I know I can exceed the gvw of the truck I used to with my old F-350 I used to with my other F-Superduty it grossed close to 19,000lbs a few times with 9000lbs of gravel on it :D

Its these new rules that deal with the National Safety Code is what I didn't know about good thing I decided to get more info on it.

I can avoid all the rules if I license a 350 for 5000kgs 11,000lbs but with the gvw so low don't want to get caught a overload fine would be expensive.

There is no way of cheating the system the days are gone of using a 1 ton truck to haul any size load fairly trouble free. The only thing before if you were not a legal registered trucking company it wasn't legal to haul other peoples freight. Now that the trucking industry has deregulated anybody can haul freight legally but you need a NSC number (replaced motorcarrier plate).

What has surprised me is what the DOT can really fine a person with which are really minor things. The people that deal with registration and insurance never told me about it I don't think they tell anybody about it.

With the 450s becoming more popular there will be alot of people getting a big surprise when the DOT pulls them over and they start racking up the violation fines. Its a 1.5 ton truck but it has alot more baggage attached to it same goes with E-450 Cube vans.

Last edited:

Dambnicetruck

DAMBNICETRUCK
Reaction score
I only haul my camper (2200lbs wet) and a 17ft speed boat(?lbs), do I have anything to worry about? If I do , I'm movin out of this place. That would be the last straw. :backoff

Pacific

Gravel Rat
Reaction score
I doubt you will have any problems is if your attracting the attention of the cops. If the camper makes your truck sway all over the road then they will try stop you. They are after people pulling fivers and TT trailers because they are trying to nail people with the trailer endoresment on their license.

Dieselmaster

Diesel addict
Reaction score
I was pulled over last month because I didn't have any mud flaps....

I was told that because my truck is an F350 it is classified as a commercial truck and as such I must have mud flaps on it.

States are hurting for money and are finding new ways to generate it every day.