I Need to Wash My Engine

tuckerd1

WAR DAMN EAGLE!
Reaction score
I want to wash my engine real good top and bottom before I replace IP and injectors and do turbo install. What should I plug and or cover up? I would like to spray down with degreaser and power wash. Any No-No's to know about?

Don

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Make sure the valley pan drain is open and clear, and know that your CDR is sealing tightly. Duct tape the intake shut really well, and your good to go. I like to have the engine warmed up, and then let it cool down until it is just a little warm. That helps the degreaser work faster, while making sure the exhaust manifolds are plenty cold.

rancherman84

P.E.R.F.E.C.T!
Reaction score
dont spray a hot injection pump with cold water,the shock can cause internal damage.
but other than that mel is right on the ball as always :D

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
You can also use any form of the "purple" color degreaser.

Use full strength AFTER wetting the eng/bay with water first. This helps activate the cleaner and stops it from discoloring the alloy IP.

I just use one of those little pump spray bottles you can buy at the big box stores.

Purple stuff really cleans the alloy rims and tires too ;Sweet

Dunno what that stuff does, but after rinsing....SQUEAKY kleen :thumbsup:

A garden hose will work just fine and give better peace of mind than a full high pressure blast.

Agree on doing "warm" as opposed to stone cold or hot!

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I used Solder Seal's "Gunk Engine Bright" on the Moose Truck some time back. I forget how it happened, but it started out that I wasn't really looking to wash the engine, but I spilled something, and then one thing led to another, and the next thing you know I'm hosing it down. I like the way an engine smells after it's been Gunked. I did avoid spraying the IP all together, but I think in reality as long as you don't turn the crank at all until the entire engine has returned to atmospheric temperature, I don't think there is too much risk. One thing is for sure, having had an injection pump on Lady Moose that needed a cold shower to get it started, they definitly are incredibly sensitive to temperature change.