i need a higher gear!!!

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ok well with my ZF swap i lost alot of top speed on the highway.i used to cruise at 65-70 with no problem.now with the 5 speed 50MPH is it.at 50 im almost into the orange zone on my tach.i dont like it!!!!!it will pull a house down in first and second.i can completely skip 3rd like it didnt exist loaded or unloaded.i can put a full size truck on it and just dump the clutch in 2nd and it will take of with no throttle input at all.i can take off in third unloaded.

now from what i understand and read on the boards that there was 2 different ratios for the f450.5.13s and i think it was 4.62s,or something close.from the info ive seen the 5.13s were used mostly in the auto trucks and the 4.62s in 5 speed trucks.ive ripped apart 6 f450s with 5 speeds in them and they all had 5.13s.

i love the 5 speed but i dont like the gearing at all.

anybody know what a 97 f450 with a PSD and 5 speed would have for gears?i know where one of those are that i can make a deal for the rear axle.but i dont feel like climbing under it in this wheather to find out if its just gonna have 5.13s.

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
Whats you axle code on the door say Rich?

I have 4.10's and with 33" tires I'm right at 2950 turns at 80 mph.

I really need a GV :hail :D

94f450sd said:
I can completely skip 3rd like it didnt exist loaded or unloaded.i can put a full size truck on it and just dump the clutch in 2nd and it will take of with no throttle input at all.i can take off in third unloaded.

;Sweet nice being able to tell your truck when to shift, isn't it :D

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Whats you axle code on the door say Rich?

I have 4.10's and with 33" tires I'm right at 2950 turns at 80 mph.

I really need a GV :hail :D

;Sweet nice being able to tell your truck when to shift, isn't it :D

dont remember the code and im too lazy to go out there in the cold to get it.but i know its a dana 80 with 5.13 gears.your gearing is perfect!!! id love to be geared like that but i dont see how an IDI can pull that kind of gear and still have some nut.

my PSD will run 90 with no problem with 4.10s

Full Monte

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What tranny did you take out of it? Seems to me that the ZF5 should give you a taller top gear, since it's an overdrive gear. It makes no sense that you should get a lower top speed, unless the engine just can't make the truck go fast enough to make 5th gear a useful choice. Since it's a car-hauler, it should be pretty heavy. My F350 dually, CC, 4WD has a heavy camper and my US Gear O/D works pretty well going down the highway, but I'm using it primarily to lower the rpms at 60mph, not to go 90mph. I'm wondering if your turbo is working correctly. I bought an F250 (see sig), and after a year, pulled off the Banks air cleaner to check it. I discovered that the PO had installed the air cleaner incorrectly (it's a *****), and it wasn't getting a good seal to the turbo. When I put it back on correctly and drove it, it seemed like someone was pushing me down the road! What a difference! The truck really moves now.

92F350CC

Ford Man
Reaction score
Monte, did you install that 4WD yourself? I've never seen an 80's ford crew cab dually with 4x4. Didn't think it was an option.

Andylad13

DieselBoy
Reaction score
it wasnt an option till 90's. that only applies for the cc. everything else could have 4x4, even the f250cc.......********.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
What tranny did you take out of it? Seems to me that the ZF5 should give you a taller top gear, since it's an overdrive gear. It makes no sense that you should get a lower top speed, unless the engine just can't make the truck go fast enough to make 5th gear a useful choice. Since it's a car-hauler, it should be pretty heavy. My F350 dually, CC, 4WD has a heavy camper and my US Gear O/D works pretty well going down the highway, but I'm using it primarily to lower the rpms at 60mph, not to go 90mph. I'm wondering if your turbo is working correctly. I bought an F250 (see sig), and after a year, pulled off the Banks air cleaner to check it. I discovered that the PO had installed the air cleaner incorrectly (it's a *****), and it wasn't getting a good seal to the turbo. When I put it back on correctly and drove it, it seemed like someone was pushing me down the road! What a difference! The truck really moves now.

He took out a E4OD I believe.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Monte, did you install that 4WD yourself? I've never seen an 80's ford crew cab dually with 4x4. Didn't think it was an option.
It's a Centurion conversion job. Mechanically it's all in it's original form except for the turbo and a OD.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Yeah I totally agree there is something very wrong 50 mph should be nowhere near wot with a ZF5 and 5.13s.

Reason that sounds familiar is because that's what my wife has a habit of doing and that's about what the rpms do. I never really paid attention to it while driving, but once she had a problem finding 5th,I did notice the way the gates are setup in the shifter can fake you out. She'll consistantly hit 3rd instead of 5th , hasn't got the hang of whacking it over into the far slot to grab 5th

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've always had a hard time with 5 speed manuals myself. One reason I'm swapping in the T19 instead of the ZF, cause a 4 speed is just so darn easy to drive.