I just Installed This Thing...

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After dropping the rear tank to remove the busted shower-head and extending the fuel PU depth, I had a feeling the OE plastic line was now sucking air at the tank connection.

So, I lowered/dropped one side of the tank again, removed the OE blue-plastic suction hose and replaced it with SAE30R9 rated 5/16 rubber injection line and....added...this inline filter.

Can't say I feel warm and fuzzy about this 'plastic' filter or maybe even the filter media being "diesel fuel friendly"...keeping an eye on it and I'll probably take it out in due time.

Sadly, NO filter manufacture will tell me which one of their in-line filters are 'diesel fuel' rated > > > Liability
issues! :mad:
You must be registered for see images attach

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Really not sure why you installed the filter. Why did you run the hose like you did on the engine side of the filter. Why not get rid of the short hose and the two clamps. Just kinda wondering.

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Really not sure why you installed the filter. Why did you run the hose like you did on the engine side of the filter. Why not get rid of the short hose and the two clamps. Just kinda wondering.
My pleasure giving incite to my craziness cookoo

1) I installed the filter in hopes to keep the 'fuel selector valve' free of any debris > when the OE 'showerheads' are in-place they offer some 'fuel screening'. However, being that's gone...AND...I'm again pulling from the bottom of the tank I would like to filter the fuel prior the FSV.

2) Trying to get the 5/16 filter/nipple 'directly' into the OE blue plastic feed line would have been a tough one and, I would worry about a good seal.
So, I used a heat-gun to help soften the OE blue hose and used a brass 3/8 x 3/8 coupling for the engine-side connection > > > if and when I ditch the filter I'll simply run the black hose into that brass coupling.

I gotta point out...even using a heat-gun the oe blue fuel line didn't want to soften, it was tough getting the brass 3/8 coupling into it.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Well that sounds perfectly reasonable. Now your refering to the blue line being a 5/16 size... If so that the fuel retun from the engine to the tank. Its not the fuel supply line to the engine.. The supply line is 3/8. When I cut and installed my electric fuel pump I used 3/8 hose and slipped it easily over the 3/8 hard plastic hose. Then clamped it. Not a drop has leaked either. Did this with the Holley Red many years ago and followed it when I installed the Carrier pump. What I learned installing the Red was use anything to clamp closed the hose. Diesel fuel running down the arms reaching the tender under arms will cause you to get out from under the truck quicker as a prom dress comes off...:eek:LOL That stuff burns plenty.. I don't know about others but it does me..

91idi

Fiberglass *****
Reaction score
Doesn't burn just makes me cross. Any other fluid and I quit!

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Well it sure burn me under there.. I wonder if its cause I shave my under arms.. I just said that because a special dog catcher is probably going to post that anyway.. Figured I would beat him to the punch...:angel::D

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well that sounds perfectly reasonable. Now your refering to the blue line being a 5/16 size... If so that the fuel retun from the engine to the tank. Its not the fuel supply line to the engine.. The supply line is 3/8. When I cut and installed my electric fuel pump I used 3/8 hose and slipped it easily over the 3/8 hard plastic hose. Then clamped it. Not a drop has leaked either. Did this with the Holley Red many years ago and followed it when I installed the Carrier pump. What I learned installing the Red was use anything to clamp closed the hose. Diesel fuel running down the arms reaching the tender under arms will cause you to get out from under the truck quicker as a prom dress comes off...:eek:LOL That stuff burns plenty.. I don't know about others but it does me..
Very true...the blue supply is infact called a 3/8 and the gray return is 5/16...however...when I measured the ID of the blue hard line is was closer to 5/16. Also, when I fitted/tested a 3/8 rubber line to the fuel tank nipple it just felt sloppy so I used 5/16 hose for a better fit and, the filter had 5/16 nipples.
The 3/8 x 3/8 coupling was from the 'plumbing' department of Home Depot, it fit the 5/15 hose nicely but was a difficult push-into the 3/8 oe blue supply line.
Obviously in the pic I went inside the plastic supply line, not out as you mentioned.

After a few tanks of fuel I'll be curious to see if any debris is in the filter.
During that time I'll be researching an actual 'clear diesel fuel rated filter'

Dropping that rear tank isn't 1/2 as bad as some make it out to be...(just siphon the fuel out first)
Doing so gave me a chance to sand the rust and add paint. I would have rather drop the rear tank vs remove my cap and pull the bed. (not an option anyhow)

Now, the front tank-drop and busted showerhead removal is next...I can't wait! :drunk:

BTW...I absolutely despise the smell of diesel fuel on my hands or clothing!

Last edited:

IHdieselfan

Reaction score
wix has a iline strainer 33972. it is 5/16 size but i've used it in 3/8 line with a good clamp. its clear like that one but its just a mesh sceen inside

Wicked97

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just did the same thing with mine but I used a steel inline filter. I just can't trust one of those plastic ones back there.

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
wix has a iline strainer 33972. it is 5/16 size but i've used it in 3/8 line with a good clamp. its clear like that one but its just a mesh sceen inside
A screen mesh is fine by me...but is the clear plastic and screen 'diesel friendly'?
How long have you been running it?
I'll contact Wix > maybe they'll man-up and tell me if it's diesel fuel rated.

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just did the same thing with mine but I used a steel inline filter. I just can't trust one of those plastic ones back there.
I'm hip to the metal filter too > I'm just curious to see what (if any) crap gets trapped by the 'clear' filter.

Wicked97

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't worry about the plastic causing a problem unless it sits in the sun or gets to vibrating. Those filters are used on alot of small diesel engines.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Ford repair manual says to heat the plastic line in BOILING WATER! to soften it.

I'd suggest an electric kettle next time and big extension cord run out to truck boil it and stick line in....ROFL

There is even a repair union for situations when the line gets cut/broken so you can heat the two ends and slip in a union!

Just saying...

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My Ford repair manual says to heat the plastic line in BOILING WATER! to soften it.

I'd suggest an electric kettle next time and big extension cord run out to truck boil it and stick line in....ROFL

There is even a repair union for situations when the line gets cut/broken so you can heat the two ends and slip in a union!

Just saying...
For the front tank I'll dig out my 1967 Boy Scouts Coleman Cooktop ;Sweet

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
;Sweet
WIX!!!
Part Number: 33972
UPC Number: 765809339729
Principle Application: Plastic Universal In-line fuel filter w/ 5/16" lines - can be used w/ gasoline or diesel fuel (33002 only to be used w/ gas)
Applications
Style: Fuel (Complete In-Line) Filter
Service: Fuel
Type: Full Flow
Media: Plastic Mesh
Height: 3.636
Outer Diameter Top: 1.828
Outer Diameter Bottom: Closed:
Burst Pressure-PSI: 58
Max Flow Rate: 1 GPM
Nominal Micron Rating:

Forum statistics