I joined the club!!!!!!

Lawrence

Reaction score
I just got a 1991 W250 4x4, intercooled.... I know very little about diesels and i need to know what i can do to boost up the power a little for cheap. any info i can get will help...... thanks

82F100SWB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
But, before you do ANY of that, at the minimum, put in a pyrometer, if not also a boost gauge.
There is quite alot to be gained just monkeying with the pump and not making any other real changes.

PackRat

Buzzard Pilot
Reaction score
Ditto on the pyro & boost gauges. Then some careful pump tweaking too unleash the beast.

rebel_horseman

Rt. Wing Extremist
Reaction score
Yup. When you increase the fuel delivered by the fuel screw, in other words "turning up the pump" or increasing the amount of fuel that will be delivered, once you turn it too far then you can hit the runaway sweet spot. Do NOT try to use your hand to shut off air into the turbo to stop the runaway unless you want to be known as stumpy from now on.

Another cheap trick is to adjust the smoke screw on the top of the pump. By cranking on it, you can increase the amount of fuel delivered at low-boot/low-RPM and thereby give you a little low-end help. It won't be much but it will be something.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7