i hope it gets better than this!

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Last night towed my 3000 lb mustang on a 500 lb u haul dolly.
The truck SUCKS.
now-its got old pump and injectors,
but man, used almost 60 litres of a 330 km journey.
700 deg egt flat ground doing 105-110 kph
rose to 900 on the slightest incline
had to be in 4th at 1000 and coolant temp climbing to almost 230 going up a so-so grade for a minute.

please tell me it gets better with a fresh pump and timed??

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know this is a broken record, but a turbo will make all the difference in the world. Unless you already have one.

I towed a similar load Thursday for the first time with my turbo, 4 door sedan on my flatbed trailer. I only had to downshift to 4th gear one time, and that was on a 2.5 mile long grade that big rigs are usually going about 20 mph at the top. Pulled every other hill in OD. My coolant temps did hit 230 pretty often, but mine idles at 210 anyway. I was really impressed at the difference in towing ability.

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i know a turbo would be a great help...just seems so dang cramped back there to be dealer with the ATS pipes, grinding on the tranny etc etc..has to be an easier way!

jayro88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would say to at least get your pump timed, or just replace it and your injectors if they have over 100K miles on them. Your EGT's will also be higher with retarded timing and you will loose power, causing you to use more fuel.

As far as the coolant temps, I'm not sure. When was the last time you replaced the thermostat or flushed the system? Where is your sensor located?

I pulled my 3000lb track car on a flat bed trailer with no issues. I didn't have my gauges then, but I was able to just set the cruise at 65mph and go. It only kicked me out of cruise once pulling a pretty good size/steep hill. Mine is a E250/c6/3.55's. Mileage only dropped a a couple miles a gallon.

You shouldn't have any issues towing 3500lbs, just remember that we are going to be a little slower (especially in NA form) than today's modern diesels.

kc0stp

30 Hour Famine
Reaction score
What kind of elevation are we talking?

This, elevation plays a huge role in how well a vehicle tows, quite frankly my IDIT cant hit 80 on flat ground with the trailer on up here (normally 70-75 is WOT) but mine also weighs 8k lbs

rob93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had no trouble pulling 6000 lbs going 65 in overdrive with my IDI factory turbo a couple weekends ago. This is in flat south Florida though

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The getting hot on hills may be a bad fan clutch. My 6.9 is real gutless on any grade. My cruise wont hold my speed on any hill with just an empty truck.

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just a note on the fan clutch. Mine engages in and out pretty regularly lately, being 100 degrees outside and all. On my trip to pick up my mothers car and tow it back here, I noticed my fan clutch kick in pretty regularly at about 230. It also locks in at most stop lights. Cools the truck right down though.

Get your pump rebuilt, get it timed and some new injectors and I bet you will notice a little more pep.

Oog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow! Pulled my 95 ex cab long bed 4x4 5spd on a 2k trailer powerstroke with my reg cab 4x4 89 idi ats 093 turbo. Managed 55 in fifth most of the trip with several grades. Just this weekend towed my jacked up jeep that weighed in at 6k lbs with no problems. You have problems son.

1; 2wd or 4? Auto or stick? Turbo or n/a? Gears?

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
everything is in sig.
elevation-not much lol.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Editors note... These results are rear wheel SAE horsepower numbers achieved on a SuperFlow dynometer unit during the 2009 IDI Weekend in Bowling Green, Kentucky, and represent a large cross section of truck models and styles. Some Powerstroke engines are listed for comparison. Most were modified.

Name - Horsepower - Torque in ft/lbs

Non turbo results

John Herbert 143.9 261.3
Marnin Gehman 137.4 257.1
Heath Sutton 123.2 218.7
Matthias Agne 108.8 229.1

Average Horsepower of a normally aspirated stock IDI.... 128.3
Average Torque of a normally aspirated stock IDI... 241.55

http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?5467-IDI-Forum-Frequently-Asked-Questions-FAQ

you have to drive these trucks that are n/a with a heavy foot pre-hill when hauling/towing to get up the hills without slowing down so hard.it's the only way.downshift and hold her to the floor early.makes a massive difference.don't be afraid of her.
a tune up and a turbo and it's a totally different truck.an intercooler and a maxed ip and it's just like running a 94-97 psd.
now it can actually just be cheaper to buy a 94-97 psd truck or even the 7.3l sd trucks to start with though and likely what id do now if i was to buy again (not sd cus i hate the styling.) back just a few years ago,the prices of psd's was still a bit high.now all the 7.3ls are old school and low hp engines and peoples moved on lol.

Last edited:

Wyreth

Certifiable Noob
Reaction score
re-freshing the fuel system will give you back some pep if yours is getting tired. However, I'm usually of the opinion that if it isn't broke, don't fix it. My tired old pump pulled decently with badly leaky injectors, not much changed when I replaced them. Hell it was still pulling decently even after it died of heat soak. Just couldn't start it hot without some warm water.

Definitely before you drop all that money, do some more in depth diagnosis. Get it timed properly (this makes a HUGE difference in how it drives) take a look at your clutch fan, and perhaps look into an aluminum radiator.

Also, N/A EGT's will always be high. Nature of the beast.

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
have aluminum rad, its new. I also do believe its the timing. just isnt "snappy" the way my 1.6 N/A jetta diesel was.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1991 f350 CCLB 2wd ZF5 3.55 open diff N/A 7.3.
in the ford/IH IDI world, you have two choices and two choices only. Do you want fuel economy or do you want to haul heavy? Both items are mutually exclusive. With 3.55 gears in the rear, you have a fuel economy gearset. If you really want to haul stuff, get a 4.10 rear. Realism is the key ingredient to happiness in life. As much as the advertisers want you to believe, you can't "have it all" in life.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online