HX35 Results

cheap bronco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can you please, please elaborate on the all electric cruise conversion. How to would be fantastic. Awesome setup by the way.

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ditto on the newer electric cruise mod. My vacuum cruise stuff works fine now but if I could ditch it that would be great.

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No worries on the studs, check out the torque test justin did at FTE.160 ft lbs no problem.

Well, to each their own, but from what I've seen I would not really consider him a definitive source of information. Haven't seen that test so I can't really say much, however I doubt it's a really in depth consideration of the true strength of the studs - it's not just how much it takes to break, but things like fatigue, thermal loads, material changes, variation, lubricants used, block/head strength, etc etc. At the end of the day the OEM knows a whole heck of a lot more about the subject than we do, so I'm inclined to trust that info first and not vary too much from it. My experience also shows that excessive torque isn't needed - so why do it? Just my $0.02 though....

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can you please, please elaborate on the all electric cruise conversion. How to would be fantastic. Awesome setup by the way.

One of these days I'll do a thread.... course I've been saying that for a while. LOL

It's pretty simple to do. You need the cruise module (actuator and controller are all in one) which will bolt up in the same place as the stock vacuum servo and has the same throttle connector. 93-94 idi trucks work and I suspect that 93+ gasser units would also work but I have not tested them. You also need to have the 87+ rear with the speed sensor (could likely setup something else to use, but I haven't really worked on it and most trucks will already have the stock sensor) and a 93+ speedometer circuit board. The gasser & diesel speedo is the same, so either should work. I have only personally looked at 93 & 94 trucks but I suspect they're the same through 97. If you take the cluster apart the actual speedometer circuit card will come off and this is what you need. The system is setup where the speed signal go through this card first and then to the cruise so I suspect it acts as a signal conditioner. I did once try hooking it up directly and the cruise did not work however I am uncertain if it was wired up correct in retrospect, so it may be possible to operate without the speedo card. Actual wiring of the system is simple, just have to look at the wiring diagram and work out the hookup - one wire of speed sensor goes to speedo card input and other to ground, output of speedo VSS signal to the cruise input, power & ground to the speed card & cruise and brake light wire to the cruise. There is also a brake pressure switch which is normally grounded I tied this directly to ground as it's a backup to the brake light circuit and I didn't have the sensor port. Later master cylinders likely have this port though. Switch wiring is a bit more complicated - it's different than the 92- setup using 3 wires instead of 2. I was able to get it to work using the steering column as a ground for the 3rd wire but it was very unreliable and it's much easier just to get a bunch of resistors and small switches and make a control box on the dash. The wiring is simple and it's just a matter of duplicating what's on the wiring diagram.

cheap bronco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hope the electronic cruise conversion how to thread for this setup comes sooner rather than later. I know time is not always on our side, but please understand that cruise is so beneficial to so many of us. Please help the many of us with a locked up right foot while driving. Remember its cheaper to drive and fix the trucks we have rather than have a 7 yr truck payment. Thanks again in advance for your help on this mod.

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One of these days I'll do a thread.... course I've been saying that for a while. LOL

It's pretty simple to do. You need the cruise module (actuator and controller are all in one) which will bolt up in the same place as the stock vacuum servo and has the same throttle connector. 93-94 idi trucks work and I suspect that 93+ gasser units would also work but I have not tested them. You also need to have the 87+ rear with the speed sensor (could likely setup something else to use, but I haven't really worked on it and most trucks will already have the stock sensor) and a 93+ speedometer circuit board. The gasser & diesel speedo is the same, so either should work. I have only personally looked at 93 & 94 trucks but I suspect they're the same through 97. If you take the cluster apart the actual speedometer circuit card will come off and this is what you need. The system is setup where the speed signal go through this card first and then to the cruise so I suspect it acts as a signal conditioner. I did once try hooking it up directly and the cruise did not work however I am uncertain if it was wired up correct in retrospect, so it may be possible to operate without the speedo card. Actual wiring of the system is simple, just have to look at the wiring diagram and work out the hookup - one wire of speed sensor goes to speedo card input and other to ground, output of speedo VSS signal to the cruise input, power & ground to the speed card & cruise and brake light wire to the cruise. There is also a brake pressure switch which is normally grounded I tied this directly to ground as it's a backup to the brake light circuit and I didn't have the sensor port. Later master cylinders likely have this port though. Switch wiring is a bit more complicated - it's different than the 92- setup using 3 wires instead of 2. I was able to get it to work using the steering column as a ground for the 3rd wire but it was very unreliable and it's much easier just to get a bunch of resistors and small switches and make a control box on the dash. The wiring is simple and it's just a matter of duplicating what's on the wiring diagram.

Sounds simple enough. I'll grab the parts when I junk this 96 F150 I've got sitting here.

Thanks! Jeremy

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828

Members online