i hope it gets better than this!

jayro88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
have aluminum rad, its new. I also do believe its the timing. just isnt "snappy" the way my 1.6 N/A jetta diesel was.

I would check this. I just replaced my IP/Injectors. Set the static timing and drove for a couple of days before the timing equipment arrived. It was extremely sluggish. There was significant peddle travel to get it moving, no mid-range throttle and the mph didn't climb very quickly at WOT. When it arrived I found that my timing was at 4*. I reset it to 9* and it is allot different. Much more reaction to throttle inputs. A small input gets it going, the medium input is now existent and I get better acceleration at WOT (along with a little black smoke). I would definitely say something needs to be adjusted on yours. 3500lbs is a pretty light load.

Like mentioned though, these are not modern diesel. In NA form (especially) you have to drive like FordF250 says. Just keep your EGT's under 1150-1200 and your coolant under 240* (fan should kick on in the 230* range). FYI, if I go WOT from a stop my EGT's will get to a little over 1000* by about 65mph. This is with 3.54's and a c6.

Oog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
in the ford/IH IDI world, you have two choices and two choices only. Do you want fuel economy or do you want to haul heavy? Both items are mutually exclusive. With 3.55 gears in the rear, you have a fuel economy gearset. If you really want to haul stuff, get a 4.10 rear. Realism is the key ingredient to happiness in life. As much as the advertisers want you to believe, you can't "have it all" in life.
sure you can. 4.10s and a gv od :rotflmao:

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the fuel system has a lot of miles on it, new components are going to breath a lot of life back into it. Your pump will be retarded, and fuel output will be reduced due to wear. Setting the dynamic timing will help, but the problem is, your not going to be able to compensate for a worn out advance curve with just a pump bump. Your injector spray pattern is probably not so good, and that definitely hurts economy and power. A turbo helps these trucks tremendously, so what may be perceived as marginal improvement in an N/A, is exponentially better with a turbo.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
sure you can. 4.10s and a gv od :rotflmao:
i've tried it and it doesn't work as well as you hope. when you're doing legal freeway speeds in OD and you engage your GV, your rpms are dropped to the point you are just outside of your powerband. if you add throttle to get back into your powerband, you will be doing outside the legal speed limit to the point you will be the fastest thing on the road. if you don't get back into your powerband, your power will drop like a rock in the hills. don't get me wrong, I've been caught doing 104 in a 75 zone. I am not adverse to speeding. but I would rather have a choice in doing so, not forced to do so.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online