I hate unthreaded fuel caps

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Last night I was thinking "I bet I didn't put the fuel cap back on 100 miles ago". Sure enough, I didn't. :mad:

I moved the unused tank cap to the used tank, and zip tied a zip lock bag over the unused filler. At least for now. It's gonna rain all day tomorrow and my RV fillers are exposed to the elements.

I dunno why all stores list tons of threaded caps, as if some vans got them? There's very slim pickings for bayonet ones. Basically two styles. Metal no key and metal with key. And there doesn't seem to be any options for tethers for them.

The one I lost was a nice big plastic handle one you can't even buy now. It has no model number or brand, so I can't hunt Ebay for a used one.

I'm guessing there's no way to get a threaded cap with a tether to fit the bayonet filler, huh?

dgr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Only way I can drive off without my fuel cap is to hotwire my truck. I leave the keys in mine when refueling.

Why not add a tether? Does the RV have a door you could hang the tether around?

I would think you'd have to change the filler neck to convert to a threaded cap

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Only way I can drive off without my fuel cap is to hotwire my truck. I leave the keys in mine when refueling.

Why not add a tether? Does the RV have a door you could hang the tether around?

I would think you'd have to change the filler neck to convert to a threaded cap

I plan to use both tanks, once I put a pump to transfer from the rear to the front, instead of messing with a tank selector valve. I could still leave a cap behind if both are off and a key isn't in one.

They do seem to make universal tethers, if they even fit non-threaded caps. And they are kind of expensive. I'd probably do better make some from zip ties by drilling a hole in the handle of the non-locking metal type.

No doors, the filler necks are just exposed like on box trucks. I really should put locking caps for that reason, I suppose.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
I got myself two keyed-alike caps (Stant 17593) from O'Reilly, $8/each. Plus I just happened to go in during a $5 rewards on any purchase weekend, so there's that. I'll use that for something else I need, after the Premium Blue oil rebate gift cards get here.

When I get to a hardware store, I'll have a good look at the caps to see if I can make a tether for them.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

H3LLSP4WN

Reaction score
Be careful with th locking ones as well I had one rusted up on my F250 that wouldn’t unlock when I bought it and had to pry and hammer the thing off at the pump so I don’t lock them anymore due to that and if you get the non locking cap and drill a small hole in the twist handle you can get small chain and use the filler neck attachment screws to secure it to the body so it can’t be lost

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Be careful with th locking ones as well I had one rusted up on my F250 that wouldn’t unlock when I bought it and had to pry and hammer the thing off at the pump so I don’t lock them anymore due to that and if you get the non locking cap and drill a small hole in the twist handle you can get small chain and use the filler neck attachment screws to secure it to the body so it can’t be lost

With these unthreaded locking ones, you HAVE to lock them. In fact you can take the key out and it just pushes onto the neck and locks it on, no key needed. If my fillers were hidden behind a door, maybe I'd stick to unlocking ones, but as they are... it might be too tempting for somebody to mess with them.