I got the engine running, does this sound ok? (video)

genscripter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After a day of fiddling with my spare batteries, I finally got my engine running on a stand. Once all the lines were bled and I had enough voltage charged up on my battery, it started very easily and ran fine.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

I don't want to run the thing a lot on the stand without coolant, so I shut it down after a few seconds of this video. Upon reviewing the video, I thought I heard some knocking sound. I'm not sure if it's just the microphone on the phone amplifying a minor sound or something, because I don't really recall hearing it when I was in the moment. What do you think?

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
A very short video, but it sounds good to me. The loud "thumping" noise that you hear is what I call "intake pulse" for lack of a better term. These engines make VERY loud noise from the intake without either an air cleaner or a turbo on them. This is the reason for the "soup bowl" inside the factory air cleaner. It's a noise baffle.

genscripter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the quick info. You guys are the best. I was kinda worried I messed something up. It's been a lot of late nights rebuilding this engine and the last thing I needed was some weird knock.

plywood

Recovered N/A
Reaction score
Oh yeah now thump the throttle that way. Amazingly quiet that way at idle. But amazingly noisy when you hit the throttle. Sounds awesome though!

genscripter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh yeah now thump the throttle that way. Amazingly quiet that way at idle. But amazingly noisy when you hit the throttle. Sounds awesome though!

I set the throttle to 2/3 when I was cranking to purge the air out of the lines. Once the lines were properly purged, I forgot to turn that down. When it cranked and started, it was LOUD AF. I quickly turned the throttle down to idle and filmed the video. Then shut it down with the switch I put on the FSS wire. It kinda scared the hell out of me cuz I wasn't expecting it to fire up so quickly and loudly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online