Hydraulic oil instead of WVO or WMO?

SHIP4BRAINS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have come across a nearly unlimited supply of lightly used hydraulic oil. Often, our test vehicles and protototypes here at work are filled with hydraulic oil, tested for a short period of time then torn down and the oil is disposed of...sometimes with as little as an hour of use....sometimes 10-20 hours of use. One of our shop workers mentioned this and asked if I could use it in my diesel... He got the idea when I told him about people blending WMO and WVO with diesel.

I don't know the real differences between hydraulic oil and motor oil...

Has anyone tried?

jimraelee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
just a thought, but might post this question to a WVO SVO forum.... I would think it would be ok to run... mix in tank 1:4 but thats just me....

rthomas

Reaction score
short answer-hell yes! ive run 25% iso46 with no ill affects, hydraulic oil has a benefit over wmo- no soot to lower the cetain rating and hyd. oil is about 10w +- so it mixes and flowes well when cold.

SHIP4BRAINS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have found several discussions about blending diesel with WMO ( waste motor oil ) and people are doing it. I have read you will have similar issues with motor oil as veggie oil...higher viscosity product may require preheating. Guys that claim to be burning used motor oil are blending 20-30% from what I have read.

knash0727

Knash
Reaction score
Can you run it by itself like some run WVO? You know, diesel to start and shut down and burn the WHO in between.

Ironman03R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It will work fine, Filter it first to get any metal or dirt out. I mix tractor hydrolic oil in the summer. My truck will run on about 80% oil before I start to notice the differance.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
cant say much on the hydrolic but i would run it. i have run a 50/50 mix regularly of WMO when the weather was warmer with no problems and have a 1/4 mix in now with the colder weather. only difference is i can smoke more till it warms up.

i collect it from friends and filter it good.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert

Members online