Hydraulic Fluid

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would say "build" up your filtering setup with what you already have or use.
For instance, if you have a 10 or 5 micron filter with a water filter, add a 1 or 2 micron filter or something close to that.
Adding a CF usually changes how a persons setup functions, or "flows".
I don't think it hurts to have extra filtering of any kind, since we deal with fluids that have many more times the amount of "stuff" in it than regular fuel.

wmoguy,
I was hoping you'd say it was cleaner. Just because hydraulic oil and trans oil, to a lesser extent, aren't exposed to the same stuff as engine oil, soot & crap.
You guys that can get a hold of WHO & WTO really start out a head in the filtering process.

wmoguy

Reaction score
I would say "build" up your filtering setup with what you already have or use.
For instance, if you have a 10 or 5 micron filter with a water filter, add a 1 or 2 micron filter or something close to that.
Adding a CF usually changes how a persons setup functions, or "flows".
I don't think it hurts to have extra filtering of any kind, since we deal with fluids that have many more times the amount of "stuff" in it than regular fuel.

wmoguy,
I was hoping you'd say it was cleaner. Just because hydraulic oil and trans oil, to a lesser extent, aren't exposed to the same stuff as engine oil, soot & crap.
You guys that can get a hold of WHO & WTO really start out a head in the filtering process.

Yea I Like the WHO for sure. I wish I could get my hands on more of it easily. I'm getting ready to make my next batch of fuel, and it's coming from my normal oil source. That stuff is the nastiest black stuff you've ever seen. It's never given me issues to run after clean w/ the Centrifuge. I just hope my ole 7.3 hasn't gained a flavor for the Champagne (WHO) and spit out theh WMO she'll be getting next. :D

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know this one might be way out there but here goes.
Has anyone found a "chemical" or substance that bonds to carbon or sulfur or both.
I never really liked chemistry but it seems that you could filter thinned wmo with say something that had a lot of oxygen in it. (like alcohol or ethanol)
Since carbon likes to form CO2, a air gas, sulfur being kind of similar, SO4
Or maybe this stuff would make the filters & CF's job little easier.
I know this is kinda hijacking, sorry,

wmoguy

Reaction score
I know this one might be way out there but here goes.
Has anyone found a "chemical" or substance that bonds to carbon or sulfur or both.
I never really liked chemistry but it seems that you could filter thinned wmo with say something that had a lot of oxygen in it. (like alcohol or ethanol)
Since carbon likes to form CO2, a air gas, sulfur being kind of similar, SO4
Or maybe this stuff would make the filters & CF's job little easier.
I know this is kinda hijacking, sorry,

there are substances used in South America to remove carbon and soot from WMO. I don't know what they are, I couldn't get Joe @ PABioDieselSupply to spill the beans on that. Apparently whatever it is, is a big no-no in the states.

chvycmnslvr68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With all the miles that I have ran on various w/o I have never pre-filtered any of the oil ... I just always make sure that I have a spare filter on board ... I figure that if I do cause any damage to the fuel injection system .. the pumps and injectors are cheap enough to replace from either CL or Ebay that I haven't been too worried about it to date

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
chvycmnslvr68,
Wow, never filtered,:eek: glad thats working for you.
That goes to show that running wmo in many different ways(filtered or not) really works and its another fuel type or source.

wmoguy

Reaction score
chvycmnslvr68,
Wow, never filtered,:eek: glad thats working for you.
That goes to show that running wmo in many different ways(filtered or not) really works and its another fuel type or source.

No way in gods green earth I'd run it unfiltered, at least the oil I am able to get. When the Fuge takes out a 1/4" of sludge/particulate and crud, thats stuff I'd not wish to go thru anyones motor. Anyone that does run unfiltered has much larger cajones than I. Then again, my pickup doesn't also get 127 mpg.........LOL

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
wmoguy
I had a situation last year about this time. Got some wmo from the tractors on the farm, the problem was it had been sitting in plastic 5gal pail that had the lid off. Bunch of very fine dirt had blown in, over time. Mixed with some diesel and put it right in the tank. The fuel filter did its job and caught the fine dirt.
That was me being impatient, kinda new to wmo at that time.

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am still somewhat new to this forum and new to the 6.9 idi. I bought my truck back in September of last year with the intention of running it on an alternative fuel. I made my own filtration system and get a steady supply of used atf from a transmission shop almost free of charge..........just a 12 pack of beer. I have run up to 100% used atf many times, even in 30 degree weather, and truck has been running great. It has also my primary fuel source for a couple months now and helps me put more money towards my education. I do have fully functioning glowplugs and injectors so that helps significantly. Smoke is about the same when comparing diesel fuel and used atf, and my hydrogen injection setup does cut back on emissions even more. Hydralic fluid and atf are much cleaner than wmo due to the lack of carbon molecules in oil. Havent tried running hydralic fluid yet. Im wondering about potential egt increases with hydralic fluid. I do, however, know for a fact that used atf does run approximately 100-200 degrees cooler than diesel fuel as far as egts are concerned.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
Funny when I was running *** it ran a little hotter. I am sure not all have the exact same mixture, I know mine had some brake cleaner mixed in since thee bench had a drain where everything ran down to the tank out back. It was easier to run but like a mentioned it was 1-200 more on my pyro. Either way I always watch the pyro since you never know how it will run till it hits your engine.

Devilish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
wmoguy try cutting back on the rug by about 2 gallons on your recipe. Your percentage of rug in the mix is 16.7%. What I'm proposing brings you down to 12%. It's possible that the rug is hurting your mileage a little at the higher percentage. I found this to be the case in my wmo mixes. 12% is about as high as I go except maybe when it's freezing outside.

wmoguy

Reaction score
Funny when I was running *** it ran a little hotter. I am sure not all have the exact same mixture, I know mine had some brake cleaner mixed in since thee bench had a drain where everything ran down to the tank out back. It was easier to run but like a mentioned it was 1-200 more on my pyro. Either way I always watch the pyro since you never know how it will run till it hits your engine.

Mine also runs hotter on WMO or *** blends (vs. Diesel) Makes sense, considering both fuel choices have higher BTU ratings vs. Diesel

wmoguy

Reaction score
well I think i'm going to stop using my WHO and WATF source. I picked up 55 gallons of it last week, and ran home and filtered it. Before it's always been consistent quality. It filtered fine, and I'd not know any the wiser, that this shop converted their fleet over to Synthetic ATF. It burned, but man oh man it started like CRAP and the amount of white'ish/grey'sh smoke at idle was ridiculous. I talked to the guy today (buddy of mine) and he was like "oh yea forget to tell you we switched to Synthetic"

Um yea, synthetic does not burn so well. -cuss

Devilish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mix it with other products. It'll still burn and because of how thin it is makes a good mixer for wmo