Hydraulic Fluid

wmoguy

Reaction score
I made a batch of fuel over the weekend from Hydraulic fluid that came out of the hdraulic systems of trash trucks. For giggles I thought I'd add RUG in lieu of Kerosene to thin it down. WOWSA! 42 gallons of Hydraulic fluid & 7 gallons of RUG makes for some very THIN fuel!! All in all, it's in the tank now, and I'm running it as we speak. I think I'll definetely keep this "recipe" on hand for winter fuel again, because of the viscosity.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
that stuff is think enough to run straight in the warmer weather, good stuff if you can get it! mine tended to burn a bit hotter to, about 1-200 deg on the pyro.

wmoguy

Reaction score
that stuff is think enough to run straight in the warmer weather, good stuff if you can get it! mine tended to burn a bit hotter to, about 1-200 deg on the pyro.

Yea I'm liking the Hydraulic fluid for sure! It starts cold as good on this as it does on Diesel! I can only get about 25 gallons a mth of Hydraulic fluid from him, but I'll take what I can get. It runs great. After talking with this guy, who maintains a fleet of 25'ish garbage trucks, he said they change the trans fluid in them about every month (because they get very abused) I was all kinds of excited to get their trans fluid. Then he told me they just run straight 30 weight in their transmissions???? WOW

chvycmnslvr68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well get their 30wt too it will run just as good as the atf or hydraulic fluid does ... and tranny fluid is filtered pretty well I have ran almost everything you can think of and have only had a couple of times that i got it too thick to get it from the tank .... 30-40 st takes about a 80/20mix with rug to make it work out pretty good I have ran around 70K over the last 5 yrs on oil and haven't had hardly any problems

chvycmnslvr68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
BTW I am running a 5.9 liter cummins in my chevy and they are DI so they start prttty good no matter what you pour in them ... LOL

Coyote_Red

Full Access Member
Reaction score
THIS was the tread that I have been looking for!!! I have wondered about burning this stuff. It is very thin to begin with; so you would have to cut it much, if any. I talked with one hydraulic repair shop that we deal with for work that said if they don't have a contract I can get 300 gallons every 3 to 6 months. I haven't be able to find a lot of information on the internet. It may be a bad search description on my part. Any recommendations on a filtering setup.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
after building a regular filter set up i would recommend using a centrifuge

wmoguy

Reaction score
update on this fuel. I've put maybe 200'ish miles on the pickup w/ this fuel (so maybe 12-14 gallons of it) and it runs like a charm. Cold starts no big deal, same EGT's as on other fuels, very little smoke even when you romp on it. I do feel power might be down just a tad, but it could be the buttdynometer needs recalibrated.

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Coyote_Red,
X2 on the CF for filtering.

wmoguy,
Do you think the WHO (waste hydraulic oil) is as "dirty" or less than wmo, or does it still have a normal coloring to it?

wmoguy

Reaction score
Coyote_Red,
X2 on the CF for filtering.

wmoguy,
Do you think the WHO (waste hydraulic oil) is as "dirty" or less than wmo, or does it still have a normal coloring to it?

good point, no its much cleaner. I did still make 8 passes of the fuel in my centrifuge. However after pass #2 very little particulate came from the fuge rotor. Normally on the WMO I get, it's still pretty nasty up thru pass #4-5. THe Hydraulic fluid I get is from a trash truck depot center in Ft Collins. My buddy maintains their fleet, and they are pretty good about staying on top of fluid changes and such as having those trucks go down is a bad deal. Each trash truck carries 30 gallons of Hydraulic fluid! I told my buddy they need to change the fluid more often! lol

Coyote_Red

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know that a CF is the best way to filter oil. I was wondering if with WHO being relatively "clean" would justify the extra cost to filter for a begging set-up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert

Members online