https://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com/catalog/R2055.html reviews?

jaed_43725

Need Quad Cab 4x4
Reaction score
I have seen a few people that have used it. How is it working for you? What did you do to make it work well?

I am thinking about getting one as my rear drums are shot. I dont tow anything unless I have to. I mostly use the truck for going to the dump or camping with a tent. With me in it, it weighs about 5,700lbs.

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Be aware that you will lose your parking brake with that kit.

Also, honestly, I'd just slap a couple of new drums on there and call it good. I *do* haul with my trucks, and the rear brakes aren't usually the issue - the drum will lock up just fine with enough force, usually still before the fronts lock up.
If you are having troubles with braking, vacuum pump and booster should be high on the troubleshooting list, or, if you have money to spend... hydroboost-swap it.

jaed_43725

Need Quad Cab 4x4
Reaction score
Be aware that you will lose your parking brake with that kit.

Also, honestly, I'd just slap a couple of new drums on there and call it good. I *do* haul with my trucks, and the rear brakes aren't usually the issue - the drum will lock up just fine with enough force, usually still before the fronts lock up.
If you are having troubles with braking, vacuum pump and booster should be high on the troubleshooting list, or, if you have money to spend... hydroboost-swap it.

Ya, those suggestions are far away from what's wrong with my rear brakes. This makes the 3rd time (and I don't drive it much, like 100 miles a month) that those garbage drums have started sticking to the point where they are smoking. Smoke rolling off the drums. Because they fail. Because drums have multiple failure points with little springs.

And I'm not concerned with losing my parking break. I live in a fairly flat area and it's an auto, and I use a block.

jaed_43725

Need Quad Cab 4x4
Reaction score
If that’s what’s really happening to your rear drums, than your not doing something right during installation. They work quite well when set up correctly.

They worked OK for awhile. But drums will just give out. And a really good shop installed them last time.

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Still think something was not installed correctly. Look at all the semi trucks that use drums on all 18 wheels. Yeah they are a pain in the ass to change out, but they do work quite well.
Me thinks the wheel cylinders might be locking up.

jaed_43725

Need Quad Cab 4x4
Reaction score
Still think something was not installed correctly. Look at all the semi trucks that use drums on all 18 wheels. Yeah they are a pain in the ass to change out, but they do work quite well.
Me thinks the wheel cylinders might be locking up.

For the price of what it cost to rebuild failure prone drums I can put those discs on and never have to worry about that again. So the question is, have you used that kit? If so then I would like to know about that. Because drum = garbage.

jaed_43725

Need Quad Cab 4x4
Reaction score
Check your brake hoses.

No point in checking them if the kit comes with new ones. And its not the hoses anyway. Drums are junk. Now the question of this thread. Have you used the kit I linked to before? If so I want to know about it, or a similar kit.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have used the e brake version kit, properly setup drums will stop a load better.

jaed_43725

Need Quad Cab 4x4
Reaction score
I have used the e brake version kit, properly setup drums will stop a load better.

From what I researched there are 2-3 kits with e-brakes, and one of them wants you to use Cadillac calipers, which is silly. There is one that you use GM 3/4 ton calipers. What brand kit did you use?

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The elderado Cadillac caliper kit is the only e brake kit, the Chevy caliper kit has no e brake. It uses the brake setup from the front axle on a 70s 3/4 ton.

sjwelds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OP: Sounds like you know more than anyone else here. Why are you asking for advice? And then when you get advice you sneer at it. Maybe if no one else has used that kit, it's because there are people that know how to make drum brakes work properly....

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7