hp/tq numbers

strokin6.9l

ihc diesel
Reaction score
hi guys this is my first post here so ill see how this goes. ive been tryin to find out what the highest hp/tq numbers are for the ford idi 6.9 or 7.3. has 400 hp to the ground been hit reliably or was this a 3 mpg work on ever other day truck. i aint cant afford to try and build one but would like to see one be done. thanks;Sweet

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
take a look at the top of the forum, look at the hp/torque post. highest numbers i know of for an idi.

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
highest dyno'd with proof on these forums is about ~205hp ~450ft-lb. IIRC

strokin6.9l

ihc diesel
Reaction score
ok thanks guys. is 400 attainable though without total destruction of pistons and heads and other mass destruction?

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
im looking to be in 300 hp motor once the jeep is done
but thats a twin compound turbo system running a ton of boost studded and over torqued with copper coated gaskets cdr delete lower cr
tuned ip with 2300 pop injectors
the tuned ip may need to be a super moose just hoping someone else pays for the r and d on it cause i cant lol

itll have no gps and start on either
i plan to run wmo on the dyno or a mad cetene boost to make numbers but it wil be a dd the either im doing in the truck already and it aint bad

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
havent seen 400, but i hear the bottom end is beefy. main things holding the engine back afaik is heads retain alot of heat, precup indirect design is limiting, fuel system - stock pump is very limited, overall heat output, and few have gone far with their motors. the main question asked is usually why you need that much power...?

i'd lvoe to have a 400hp idi, i'd love to see one in person too:angel:

strokin6.9l

ihc diesel
Reaction score
see when people say it aint possible it makes want to thank their wrong even if their right. and some one told me it wasnt possible to make a 400hp daily driver out of an idi and i thank it could be done. just keep bringing those numbers in so i can hopefuly show them wrong.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
see when people say it aint possible it makes want to thank their wrong even if their right. and some one told me it wasnt possible to make a 400hp daily driver out of an idi and i thank it could be done. just keep bringing those numbers in so i can hopefuly show them wrong.

No one has built a dyno proven 400+ horse daily driven IDI and shared their build with us. Can it be done, maybe. The power could be obtained. Can it be a 100,000 mile reliable daily driver? Maybe not. You'd have to beef up some stuff to make it live long and be reliable. What parts will give you that result? Don't know again, because it's not something that has been done. Why? The lack of special parts and the cost of building them has likely keep most from attempting it.

We'd all like to see it done though.

Heath

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
im looking to be in 300 hp motor once the jeep is done
but thats a twin compound turbo system running a ton of boost studded and over torqued with copper coated gaskets cdr delete lower cr
tuned ip with 2300 pop injectors
the tuned ip may need to be a super moose just hoping someone else pays for the r and d on it cause i cant lol

itll have no gps and start on either
i plan to run wmo on the dyno or a mad cetene boost to make numbers but it wil be a dd the either im doing in the truck already and it aint bad

I think if i could do it over i would leave my injectors set to 18-1900 psi i dont really care for the way it sounds,