HP difference 7.3 IDI versus 5.9 Cummins 12V?

dank1945

Hippo Hands man
Reaction score
Hi,
I went to check out a 96 RAM2500 today, and I'm not sure if I'm looking at a 53 block or not. Up at the top of the block, close to the front cover, driver's side, and almost hidden under a large bracket that holds fuel lines in place, I found in large raised numbers a "53", with a space after it, and a series of other numbers following. Is this the infamous 53 block? Is it possible to have a 96 with a 53 block?
Also, does anyone know the difference in hp from my 94 F350 CC 7.3L IDI to the 5.9 L Cummins? This 96 only has about 130 k miles on it, seems to have been well taken care of body wise, tranny repaired 2 years ago. It definitely needs a new rad, this one's fins are desintegrating. Rancho shocks, air bags, good interior, everything works, and impecable exterior, aluminum wider rims, and OEm rims, two sets of tires. Asking $10,000 US.
Opinions or suggestions encouraged, please!
Thanks,
Dan

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK is the Dodge an automatic or a 5 speed? The manual tranny Dodges came spec'ed for much higher HP than the autos did. I want to say it was 205 HP with the manual and 165 with the auto, I can't recall for sure. However the 7.3 IDI if it is NA is only rated at 185 HP factory turbo was 195 both ratings at the crank. The 1996 will have the P7100 pump so many tweaks and upgrades are available and the 12V Cummins can take a lot more tricks and mods without breaking than can a 7.3 IDI. The limiting factor on the IDI appears to be the high compression ratio and resulting safe boost limit of around 15 psi unless you stud the heads and even then it's wasted much above 12-13 without an IC due to superheating the boost charge. However, you probably won't be able to run SVO/WMO/diesel without heat and even better filtration and get away with it in a Cummins the DI injectors are finer and need good pump fuel or quality biodiesel instead(personally I think this is true for most diesels though..) of junk. And if you do tear up a P7100 the rebuild costs will probably be much higher than a Standyne DB2 pump. 10 grand seems a little high for that Dodge when you already know it needs a new Rad and who knows what else. Your truck is pretty nice though you could probably get some real money out of it if you wanted to sell.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Please educate me about the bad Cummins block... I thought it was the "killer dowel pin" that you had to be afraid of only.

dank1945

Hippo Hands man
Reaction score
Hi,
The Cummins has an auto tranny. he reason I ask about hp, is because it didn't feel as powerful as my IDI, just by the seat of the pants feeling. The Dodge has a beautiful body, apparently free of rust, a big improvements over my rusty Ford.
I'm presently running 50/50 veggie oil, quite well, without any mods other than an electric fuel pump and a 5 micron pre-pump filter. I like the IDI because of the dual tanks, it allows me to use the veggie in the front, and keep pure diesel in the rear, for starting and stopping. Good enough for the summer camping season with my slide in camper.
I've done a lot of maintenance on my 94 F350, and I believe mechanically is now reliable.
I've had the 4 corners fixed up nicely; next would involve about three grand in body work to fix the crew cab area, replace the tailgate, and paint the hood. I also need to replace some hardware in the driver's door window because it jams shut and won't open. There are also bits of plastic trim interior that have to be replaced eventually, not a high priority.
I am fixing to do the ball joints as well, as soon as possible. That should pretty well conclude the work for now. My total investment so far must be at around $7,000 Cad, but who's counting...

dakotajeep

Patrolling
Reaction score
I hear you on sinking money into these things.....but I am still ahead compared to what my New F150 was running me in payments and insurance.....

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe it is the "52" block you have to worry about:dunno

Nope, he had it right. The 53 block is the bad one. Most are in early 24 valve engines. There are some late 12 valve engines that have them too.

Killer dowel pin is the biggie on the 12 valve and it's an easy mod. that can be done for a little as a few hours of your time, a $45 timing gasket set from Autozone and a ground down flat washer. You can do this mod only with the original timing gear cases which are flat at the pin boss and bolt next to it.

Cummins has also revised the timing gear case and dowel pin. If you have a remanufactured engine like mine or have to replace the gear case like I did a few months ago on the engine I just replaced these last few days, you also have to use the new pin as well as a gasket set. The new pin has a taper at the end and the new case has a deeper boss the that the pin is in..... It's about 3/8 of an inch deeper and has a taper at the end of the bore the pin can't fall out of this boss sits about 3/8" longer than the bolt next to it that you use to do the KDP mod on the original cases that are flat.

Rot Box

Northern Utah
Reaction score
53 block info

From everything I have heard, read or seen first hand 53 blocks were typically found in 98 12v and 98.5-02 24v trucks they are random not all trucks have them. They are a brazilian made block that had a weak casting below the exhaust manifold above the freeze plugs and they are known to crack there. That being said I have 190K on a 53 block without trouble so far--knock on wood.

The 53 can be found on the front of the block right above the oil pan on the drivers side. The letters are about an inch tall. its right behind the power steering/vacuum pump assembly...

HP wise its hard to compare the two if the IDI has a turbo. If they are completely stock with the factory snorkels and exhaust the two trucks will be very comparable in horse power. The Cummins is much easier to milk extra power out of in the long run. Both are great truck :thumbsup:

res0wc18

Full Access Member
Reaction score
possible that you have a swapped in engine from a different year truck? Or maybe it had warranty work and it was replaced?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online