howdy and help

Longwolf

Reaction score
I've had really bad luck with them.
The cheapest I've found on Craigslist is $1000 and the guy says it's "hard to start"

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cold or not doesn't make a difference. Only if the engine has set a long period of time would you have numbers that might not be accurate.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've had really bad luck with them.
The cheapest I've found on Craigslist is $1000 and the guy says it's "hard to start"

Hard to start might just be glow plugs.

The question nobody has asked, much to my surprise, do you know anything about coolant additives? These blocks are prone to Cavitation if you don't keep the proper level of additives in the coolant.

That might not be your problem, but I'd hate you to lose another engine to it if it is.

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hard to start might just be glow plugs.
In my experience, it tends to be one of two things - glow plugs(and/or plug wires, controller), and/or retarded timing due to a worn-out IP.

To test, you take the engine when cold, disconnect the glow plugs(either power wire to the controller or simply unplug 3 plugs) and use a shot of ether(1/2 second or so, into the air cleaner) to start it.

Once it fires up, if it's smoking white/gray for more than a couple of seconds, you need to fix the IP timing(either replace it or compensate for it by advancing the pump quite a bit).

If it fires up nicely and has the normal IDI clatter with no smoke? It's just glow plugs.

I've gotten trucks with one or both; not too hard to fix either problem, as long as you understand what causes it.

Longwolf

Reaction score
You missed a starting problem, air in the fuel lines.
Unfortunately, that $1000 engine has already been pulled. So I wouldn't even be able to hear it run.

On my current engine, Lord only knows how many miles are on it or if SCAs were used. Like I said, it's an old U-haul.

What I'd like to do is get another remanned engine. (That could take a while )
Does Jasper still have a good reputation with these?

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Not exactly. Lol some have been "okay" though.
Promar also has them.
1st Choice would likely be Conestoga, if he's still doing them. The complete moose package.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Before going with that, how about pulling your current engine and doing some disassembly?

You might need a new block, or you might just need some rings and stuff. Take pictures and we can guide you through a bunch of it.

You don't have a lot to lose...

Longwolf

Reaction score
You don't have a lot to lose...
The biggest thing I could lose is time. I do handyman work and have become pretty popular. I'm lucky to get a day or two off per month.

There is a truck online, that I'd love to get as a donor.
"19w94 Ford F350 XLT Dually IDI Turbo Diesel w/143K Miles. One Owner. Converted to Factory ZF 5 Speed Manual Transmission. " one owner, 6 new tires, nice rims, good AC and heat, regular oil changes and coolant additives.
But they want $7k for it.

I'm tired of messing around with junk engines. Been trying to get a good one for 4 years now. I have had a good one and it spoiled me :)

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Promar engines are around $3K plus, Jasper! I wouldn't trust them. I had a Promar in my 90, ran great until I gave it to my Grandson, then his buddies trashed it.

Longwolf

Reaction score
Promar engines are around $3K plus, Jasper! I wouldn't trust them. I had a Promar in my 90, ran great until I gave it to my Grandson, then his buddies trashed it.

So you would or wouldn't recommend promar?
Just checked their site. $3900 for a 7.3 idi turbo.
Warranty isn't as good as Jasper's, only 18 months, 75k miles. But I think they're about a grand cheaper.

Longwolf

Reaction score
Still looking at options.
I'm unlikely to replace the rings myself.

But isn't there a chance that the low compression was caused by the head gaskets blowing even worse once the coolant pressure shot up?

Couldn't I re-test compression for the rings by putting an eye dropper of oil into each cylinder just before the test?

If the results were the same, the rings could be good. And I would be willing to try new head gaskets.

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, you can always pull a head. You should be able to see if the headgasket caused the issue or not.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin