HOW TO:

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
HOW TO MAKE YOUR IDI TURN PAST 4000RPM!

DO THIS MOD AT YOUR OWN RISK!!!!!

Step1[getting the top of the ip off] Remove the fss wires(fuel shutoff selonoid) and the timing advance wire, Then remove the return line out of the injection pump, there are 3 bolt that go down threw the cover you can get them out with a flat head screw driver or a socket of the correct size 5/16 if i remeber correctly, then after the three bolts are removed you can then remove the top cover you may have to slightly peck on it wit a screw driver, but be gentle and not break or loose anything. http://s929.photobucket.com/albums/ad140/dyoung14/?action=view&current=rpm5.jpg

Step2: [getting the min max governor assembly out] First look at the back of the ip there is a bolt that has to come out it holds the min/max governor assembly block in the ip, find a way to mark this bolt and refernce to the ip housing and count the turns as you turn it out, when you get it out lay it aside so you can loose it, then if you move the throttle you can the the governor assembly block moves with it, the way to get it out is to just kinda tilt it bcak and try to slid it forward while moving the throttle lever around to work it off of the throttle lever but be careful there is a spring that you cant see that will fall out of the hole that you pulled the bolt out of so you need to hold your finger over that hole here is that spring:http://s929.photobucket.com/albums/ad140/dyoung14/?action=view&current=rpm5.jpg, there is also another spring that sticks into the side of the governor assebly that hold it to the lever http://s929.photobucket.com/albums/ad140/dyoung14/?action=view&current=rpm.jpg(take note on how it is attached, as you will have to reatch it back perfect, once you get the min/max rpm governor assembly out find a way to mark the block and the shaft and count the turns as you loosen it, when you get it apart it will look like this: http://s929.photobucket.com/albums/ad140/dyoung14/?action=view&current=rpm3-1.jpg after you take it apart you can now put your rpm spring of choice in(mine will tach past 4400) I bought mine from mel agne (AGNEM) when you put it back together slid the new spring onto the governor assembly then start the black back onto it and make sure to turn it back the exact same amount of turns as when you took it off, then put the small failly lons spring into the hole in the governor assemlby and put a dab of grease in to make sure it dont fall out, work it back in working the throttle lever till it falls in place, then hook that spring back into it you will see why it is so fun, then put the bolt back threw the back of the ip into the governor assembly and once again make sure to get it back in the correct number of turns, now your ready to put the cover back on start to set it down onto the ip slide it forward a little and work it around just a little and you should fell it fall into the right place, it should have a little resistance but not alot THIS PART IS IMPORTANT TO MAKE SURE IT GOES BACK INTO THE RIGHT PLACE AND DONT HANG THE THROTTLR WIDE OPEN, AFTER PUTTING THE BOLTS BACK IN A TIGHTEN THEM DOWN TURN THE KEY ON AND HOOK THE WIRE TO THE FSS AND MAKE SURE YOU HEAR GOOD CLICKING FROM THIS SELONOID IF YOU DONT TAKE THE TOP OFF AGAIN AND TRY AGAIN, NEVER CRANK THE ENGINE IF YOU DONT HEAR THE SELOINOID CLICK WHEN YOU HOOK IT UP AS THE ENGINE WILL GO INTO RUNAWAY!!! Then hook the return line up and your reasy to crank your engine and go test your new rpm spring out and see how high it will rev, And remeber Do this at your own risk!

Attachments

• rpm.jpg
    rpm.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 22
  • rpm1-1.jpg
    rpm1-1.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 34
  • rpm2-1.jpg
    rpm2-1.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 29
  • rpm3-1.jpg
    rpm3-1.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 27
  • rpm4-1.jpg
    rpm4-1.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 31
  • rpm5.jpg
    rpm5.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
And for anyone considering this mod i would sugest better valve springs, as the stockers float, but im still turning 4000+ everyday with no real problems yet so we will see how it goes

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
does it make your truck faster or smoke?

well the other day i got curious and timed a 0-60 the first one was taking off in first gear and never go above 3800 and it done it in 15.3 seconds the second one i took off in second and floared it till it hit 4500 the shifted into third and went a little more to 60 and it was 15.8 seconds when i get the chance im going to do one and shift at 4200 in each gear, and record it, really i dont know if its faster but it does seem to accelarate decnt to not have a turbo, yes mine smokes good too, but i have the pump turned up, but in the high rpm it dont smoke like it does down low cause the pump cant keep up in stock form i guess

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
hmm..think mine was...#6ish?

-Jon

Then yours may still tach 3800, seems like deeproost tachs 3800 i dont know your talkin to the wrong guy only mel will know the calibrate the pumps, or you could always mash into the skinny pedal and find out how far she goes;Really

jcarr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Even though im a skeptic;Really, Nice write up;Sweet

It looks tech article worthy.

Good writeup? Yes.
Tech acticale worthy? Debateable.
Why? This kind of mod is not for the light hearted. If you get some punk kid, like so many forums have, that thinks oh I'm gonna build me a hot rod diesel. But the kid really has no clue. Then by placing this in the tech articles we have only made it easier for another IDI to become scrap metal, and without Freight_train's help!

IMHO I say leave the thread as is. Make people dig for a mod that will likely blow their engine on the first trip out after the mod.

Just my $0.02 :dunno