How to R&R ZF-5 from '93 F-350 7.3L?

PSDfreak

Diesel-a-holic
Reaction score
I need to pull the ZF-5 out of a 1993 F-350 Reb Cab, Long Beg, 4x4, 7.3L Turbo IDI this week....

Never pulled one of these before...Figure im gonna need a tranny jack...anyone got a little how to or some tips on how to make it go as smooth as possible??

Thanks

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i'm in the middle of salvaging a '92 with a ZF5. here's a couple of suggestions.
there's a tin plate on the floor, pull the carpet and pull the plate. you now will have access to bolts that will cause you hours of grief if you didn't. If you haven't already done so, pull the shifter tower and the transfer case shifter assy. Be gentle to this part, it's made out of flimsy pot metal and breaks very easily. remove the driveshafts, transmission and transfer case electrical. unbolt and remove the transfer case. Removing the transfer case just makes the whole job a little easier especially pulling the crossmember. lastly, pull the clutch slave cylinder and let it hang gently while you're working on the trans.
remember, the trans is deceptively "light" looking. It will fight with you even with a trans jack.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When you take the shifter tower off, watch out for the little spring and tang that sit in the forward left section. If you dislodge them, they will fall into the trans! Not pretty. Disassemble that top section like you were trying to difuse a bomb, and you'll do OK.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
towcat summed it up well, pull the shifter off through the open hole before dropping anything. when i helped my brother in law pull his we used a strap to hold up the tranny. the strap was hooked from the drivers side going down the open hole looping under the tranny and back up through on the passenger side. he undid the last bolts while i held the one side of the strap and lowered it down.

i have a tranny jack but have honestly found them to be more trouble that they are worth most times.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
wow you guys do way too much extra work.there is no need to remove the floor plate or the whole shifter tower.there are 4 allen head bolts on top of the shifter tower.remove those and the shifter comes out.just make sure you dont lose the 2 plastic bushings and make sure they go in the way they came out.no need to worry about the spring for the reverse lockout.remove everything like has been said but you dont even need to remove the tranfer case shifter plate from the extension housing.disconnect the linkage for the transfer case and remove the 2 8MM bolts that hold the 4wd shifter to the rest of the linkages.

i can do a tranny/clutch swap in about 1 1/2 hours on a 2wd.and 3 1/2 hours on a 4wd.

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
I pitty all you feller's with a 4x4 ZF, I could pull my 2wd ZF out in an hour or less:D ....Gotta love that divorced t-case I installed...Stubshaft, stick, BH bolts, clutch slave cylinder and it's on the floor;Sweet ...Before I start plowing next year I'm going to rebuild my spare ZF and install it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726