How to: Mount a Super Duty front fuel tank

lindstromjd

Black Sheep
Reaction score
So with everyone asking questions about how to get more fuel, and me needing a new tank (old one rusted out and was junk), I found a deal on CL that I couldn't pass up. I got this 2006 SD tank with at LEAST 20 (clean) gallons in it for $40. So I went out on a little adventure to mount it up. Here's how I did it:

First... drop the nasty a$$ front tank. Here it is next to the "new" SD tank:
You must be registered for see images attach

Notice that the two tanks have almost the exact same indents for the frame cross members. This comes in EXTREMELY handy, and makes for lining up the new tank a total breeze.

Next, I went about figuring out the wiring for the sending unit. My tank came with the stock SD sending unit, and the OBS ones don't fit it. Come to find out, the brick nose and OBS trucks (1987+) have the same ohm range as all the newer Super Duty trucks, of 25 empty and 160 full. So I busted out my multi meter and figured out which wires were which and here's what I came up with: pink to blue, and yellow to black. The pink and yellow are on the sending unit and the blue and black are on the truck:

I had to remove the rear sway bar because it's in the way of the new tank.

Next, I went about making the skid plate / mount work for the SD tank (which also came with it). I just had to move the stock inside-mount bolts towards the driveshaft, and drill a new hole for the rear mount:

The outside mounts were easier. The rear one lines up with the holder for the e-brake cables, and the front I had to make my own mount. I'll make it more sturdy when I get the chance:

Last, I had to make my own filler neck. So I got some radiator flex hose with a 1/2 inch inside diameter. That's the size of the filler neck going in to the tank. I attached it to the OBS filler neck with an exhaust 1/2" to 2" adapter. These are all INSIDE diameter measurements.

I used the OBS filler neck metal plate to help protect the flex plate from that body support.

And here it is all mounted up:

I know that looks low, but it sits almost the exact height of the rear differential. I plan on lifting my rear end when I do my 4x4 swap anyway, so I'm not the least bit concerned about it.

That's it!! Hope you guys enjoy / make good use of this.

Last edited:

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the terrific write up.

If it didn't hang so low I'd be on that...but I want to go wheeling so need MORE clearnce..

Again very nicely done!

Al

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
nice work for sure...i have always been curious about this swap.....i was liking it up until that last picture...yuck!! nothing against you by any means but that just looks terrible with the tank hanging that low.

lindstromjd

Black Sheep
Reaction score
I added a different angle picture of how low it sits. That first one was looking down at it, and the second is more straight on. It's really not as bad as it seems. I'll get a measurement of how close to the ground it actually sits on stock suspension, and how much fuel it can actually hold when I go fill it up. My wallet isn't big enough to fill that damned tank yet!! LOL

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alleycat

Members online

No members online now.