How to grease hubs

gatorman21218

Reaction score
What is the proper procedure for re-greasing the hubs on big green? and what grease should I use? there seems to be a mixture of red and black grease in there now. Not sure what red grease is. Also I broke one of the screws today. here is the part number from mcmaster carr of the screws I ordered. 90128A203. Can I drive the truck with only 5 screws in place or should I wait til they get here?

gatorman21218

Reaction score
forgive me cuz i dont know all the terms. What Im referring to is when I take the 6 hex screws out there is grease there.

gatorman21218

Reaction score
Ok glad to know. I will worry about that later then. My big concern is getting this dern hydroboost completed. Its been 3 weeks and I still am working on it.

Any clue on what red and black grease is?

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Methinks it's likely wheel bearings grease, starts its life as red in color and eventually changes to black.

Rot Box

Northern Utah
Reaction score
Red, green, black, grey... I've even seen blue. There are lots of different colors of wheel bearing grease. A lot of the time trucks will have one color of grease and get re-packed with another color. Or they change color over time as the bearings wear. So long as there is a good amount of grease in the wheel bearings you're fine. Some of that grease will work its way outwards to the locking hub and that may just be residual grease that you are seeing.

As for the selectable/locking hubs I have used magna-lube or a very light lithium grease in some instances, but typically you do not want any grease at all in the selectable hub. It is a good idea to pull them apart and clean them out. If they get gummed up they tend to stick and that can lead to problems if they do not fully engage.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sooo that means....

It means someone had leftover grease from packing the bearings and decided the locking hubs can use some of it. I really don't recall what I lubricated the hubs with on my old 4x4, I think it was something light and silicone based, heck for what I know it could have been dielectric grease too - if the collective here says no grease is needed, then just wipe off the stuff you see and roll on ;Sweet

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
Red, green, black, grey... I've even seen blue. There are lots of different colors of wheel bearing grease. A lot of the time trucks will have one color of grease and get re-packed with another color. Or they change color over time as the bearings wear. So long as there is a good amount of grease in the wheel bearings you're fine. Some of that grease will work its way outwards to the locking hub and that may just be residual grease that you are seeing.

As for the selectable/locking hubs I have used magna-lube or a very light lithium grease in some instances, but typically you do not want any grease at all in the selectable hub. It is a good idea to pull them apart and clean them out. If they get gummed up they tend to stick and that can lead to problems if they do not fully engage.

What he said^^^

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Front 4x4 wheel-bearings and inner-axle needle-bearings should be cleaned, inspected, and packed with a generous amount of Kendall L-427 Super-Blu.

The splines/grooves that the hub-locking mechanism rides in and out on should have a LIGHT coat of the same; too much will not allow the spring to engage the hub in freezing temperatures; no grease at all will soon wear out the splines.

A light coating of same should be applied to EVERY movable part of the locking mechanism.

All seals and O-rings should be smeared with same.

Not lubricating the moving parts is cause for the hubs being almost impossible to turn by hand; plus, a coating of grease will prevent water from seeping into the mechanism.

The only harm in too much grease being in the locking mechanism is when freezing temperatures thicken the grease to the point that the mechanism cannot engage.

Use any other grease at your own risk. ;Sweet

THECACKLER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I dip them in 90 wt., let them drain off and install them. The red grease is probably Lucas' "Red & Tacky" , some good stuff for sure but not in your hubs.
Thanks for the p/n for the screws. I need to get some spares. I use them to pull my hub slider aftyer I wiggle the snap rings out and I'm afraid I'm going to bend or break them. I always have to take a small file to the splines on the stub axle at the groove where the snap ring sets because it seems to always raise a burr that won't allow the slider to slip off over it. I wish I could figure out why that is happening. I'm to the point of wondering if I really need that inner snap ring on the stub axle. Maybe somebody else has solved this problem...

flareside_thun

Reviving The General Tao
Reaction score
Most times the red is a synthetic type to keep it from breaking down with the heat it gets.....valvoline grease also comes in red. The red stuff is also "waterproof" very popular with the boat trailer guys.